Discussion ???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 9, 2013
This is the type of hitting instruction that continues to limit the power and consistency of softball hitters. In order to achieve optimal hitting rotational mechanics, the back elbow needs to remain relatively or even perfectly still during the rotation of the upper body. As soon as the elbow collapses into her body or stays close to her body, you can see how the "attack angle" of the bat immediately becomes flat as opposed to the ideal 45 degree angle. There are several other problems with this video and her swing, but trying to keep a ball under her arm is just plain amusing.

Oct 2, 2015
This is the type of hitting instruction that continues to limit the power and consistency of softball hitters. In order to achieve optimal hitting rotational mechanics, the back elbow needs to remain relatively or even perfectly still during the rotation of the upper body. As soon as the elbow collapses into her body or stays close to her body, you can see how the "attack angle" of the bat immediately becomes flat as opposed to the ideal 45 degree angle. There are several other problems with this video and her swing, but trying to keep a ball under her arm is just plain amusing.

I agree with you 100%...and here's why...
After last years' ball seasons we changed my daughter's swing from rotational to linear, under advisement from various coaches...
We were told that yes, a rotational swing had more power, but a linear swing kept the bat head "in the zone" longer so the batter had a better chance of hitting the ball.
After my DD made the change from rotational to a linear swing we had the opportunity to try it out in various sports domes vs. a batting cage to see the results.

The results are as follows, after changing to a linear swing my DD hit the ball ~ 40' SHORTER, than she did with a rotational swing.

The loss of power was not subtle. It was amazing how much power she lost while changing from a rotational to linear swing.

My DD was crushed to say the least. We tried the linear swing out for as long as we could. The power is just not there.

Needless to say, we have changed the DDs swing back to rotational.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Not gonna lie, I put the clip on mute. Wheres this hitting instructor at?

200.gif
mj3bd3.gif
200.gif

Too funny. The thumbs up has nothing to do with the instruction.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
We were told that yes, a rotational swing had more power, but a linear swing kept the bat head "in the zone" longer so the batter had a better chance of hitting the ball.
The body is rotational. The hands are more linear.
PerpendicularPlanes.jpg

Oct 2, 2015
The body is rotational. The hands are more linear.
PerpendicularPlanes.jpg

I'll agree with that...to an certain extent...:D

With the linear swing, my DD's body was rotating slower, and not as fluid as with a "rotational" swing.

With a rotational swing, my DD's legs, hips and upper body movements flow quicker, smoother and with more power than with a linear swing.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I'll agree with that...to an certain extent...:D

With the linear swing, my DD's body was rotating slower, and not as fluid as with a "rotational" swing.

With a rotational swing, my DD's legs, hips and upper body movements flow quicker, smoother and with more power than with a linear swing.

What does a "linear swing" mean to you? What does a "rotational swing" mean to you?

Oct 2, 2015
What does a "linear swing" mean to you? What does a "rotational swing" mean to you?

For a lack of more technical terms... to me, a linear swing to is when the hands/body move the bat/barrel in a more linear path, or parallel to, the incoming ball.
To me, a rotational swing is when the hands/body are allowed to swing the bat in more of a rotation, or arc compared to the incoming ball.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
bautistaoverheadzoom_zpsf42ad6e8.gif
[/URL][/IMG]

The terms linear and rotational were coined before there was any hd slo mo video of swings and:
Depends on how you are looking at it. I see the rear leg, the rear hip, and the hands going in a linear path from catcher out toward pitcher. Only thing I see going around are being moved that way by the rear side coming from behind out toward pitcher, or the hands being pulled around after arms reached extension. Now on some inside pitches there may be more "aroundness" to the swing, but just due to the hands being pulled in tighter.
From my perspective, teaching any around, or rotation in a swing has more problems then benefits.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez