THE PITCHING CIRCLE

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Too many snivelers whose existence revolves around calling out "NOT FAIR! NOT FAIR!" at any real or perceived slight. It may not take many, they just stick out like a sore thumb.
In our fall ball league, the front of the circle is not a problem. 12U begins the day and the circle is drawn around their temporary plate. 14U takes over next and the plates get pulled up, but the circles are not re-drawn. I have yet to see a pitcher with a 10' stride.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Tall pitchers have many advantages and no circle would add to them. Theoretically if you had a 6'6 pitcher with hops they could be throwing from like 32 feet away which would be both dangerous for the pitcher and too much of a disadvantage for the hitter.
The circle has zero to do with the pitchers stride. If she lands outside the circle it is not a penalty. That’s the point of Rads post

May 18, 2019
The circle has zero to do with the pitchers stride. If she lands outside the circle it is not a penalty. That’s the point of Rads post
I may learn something. Is this true? Literally with the leap a pitcher could (theoretically) jump half way to home with the front foot and as long as their is no replant and they are in the lane it's legal today?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I may learn something. Is this true? Literally with the leap a pitcher could (theoretically) jump half way to home with the front foot and as long as their is no replant and they are in the lane it's legal today?
It’s always been legal to cross the front line of the circle during the pitch. It is only there for the enforcement of the look back rule.

It hasn’t been that long ago that the pitchers plate was only 40 feet. The circle size remained the same so if you were over the line you were less then 32 feet from the plate

Jun 22, 2008
The circle has absolutely zilch, nada, zero, nothing to do with any pitching regulation in any ruleset. It's only function is the look back rule.

May 18, 2019
Thank you. Apparently several hundred games and lessons with two pitchers and I missed a basic rule. Appreciate you all setting me straight.

May 29, 2015
I hope this isn't taken as an attack, as it certainly isn't meant as one ...

... but if you are "teaching" girls how to pitch, do yourself a favor and learn the rules involved with pitching. This is like a driver's ed instructor saying they didn't know there was a speed limit.

Pitching coaches: I'd be happy to put on a clinic for your students, their parents, and you.

May 18, 2019

... but if you are "teaching" girls how to pitch, do yourself a favor and learn the rules involved with pitching. This is like a driver's ed instructor saying they didn't know there was a speed limit.

Pitching coaches: I'd be happy to put on a clinic for your students, their parents, and you.
If you are speaking to me, I drive them to lessons (with someone who has forgotten more about pitching than I've ever known), sit down, and shut up. They moved beyond my pay grade long ago.

Jun 18, 2023

I think it's more like a driver's ed instructor not knowing you can make a left turn on red from a one way street to a one way street. Something super rare that just doesn't really happen and if you never do it it doesn't really change if you're a good or bad driver.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA