Softball in JAPAN informative read

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
Posted in another smaller thread discussion. Thought the read & video has some informative value so I posted it again here to potentially reach a broader range of readers.

Last edited:
May 16, 2016
Illinois
I did not watch the 1 hour video at the end. I did read the article. I would say the number one factor in Japan being so good at softball is $$$$$$$$.

When you can pay people a decent full time salary to play sports you are more likely to get the best players. IMO softball players do not make enough money from the sport of softball to justify the amount of time and energy to be the best at their craft.

Mar 29, 2023
Hope someone can recap the podcast, because the article's summary is a bit light on justifying the premise that "respect and discipline" are why Japan is better.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023
I did not watch the 1 hour video at the end. I did read the article. I would say the number one factor in Japan being so good at softball is $$$$$$$$.

When you can pay people a decent full time salary to play sports you are more likely to get the best players. IMO softball players do not make enough money from the sport of softball to justify the amount of time and energy to be the best at their craft.

Yup. Money. Article tries to imply it's about something else, but it's not. It's just money. They pay their players, so they have the best players.

Funny how you can be disciplined to work hard when you're being properly* compensated.

Mar 29, 2023
Yup. Money. Article tries to imply it's about something else, but it's not. It's just money. They pay their players, so they have the best players.

Funny how you can be disciplined to work hard when you're being properly* compensated.
It does appear the compensation is about the same as Athletics Unlimited, though I imagine at a larger scale.

May 13, 2023
(sure money is part of everything, could basically say there is money here or there that could be spent.)

What I see in this example of Japan is what investment with structure can do.

*It is that large corporations see there is a fan base for it. And has invested their interest in the sport.*

Brief Google searches find that in Japan players are getting paid $60,000. And some of them more.
That really isn't a ginormous pay scale.
Can imagine that is doable if the business example were to be created locally. Takes fan base though.

What I gleaned from the article,...
in Japan there is a full-time investment in the sport of softball.
An established structure for players who strive to be on a bigger stage with a large fan base that supports it!

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022
Players share their perspectives from the experience of playing in Japan. Lot more to it than just the money behind the scenes.

Looks like they practice more.

But are Olympic style events really the best way to measure the fact that they're "ahead of the US?" Maybe the US team just had bad coaching or didn't select the right players. Or the Japanese players have been playing together for a long time and have that experience playing together.

The US didn't even medal in the most recent Fiba world cup in basketball but no one would say American basketball players aren't the best.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

When you can pay people a decent full time salary to play sports you are more likely to get the best players. IMO softball players do not make enough money from the sport of softball to justify the amount of time and energy to be the best at their craft

USA had company teams (men’s) at one time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00