THE PITCHING CIRCLE

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 11, 2023
I think it's more like a driver's ed instructor not knowing you can make a left turn on red from a one way street to a one way street. Something super rare that just doesn't really happen and if you never do it it doesn't really change if you're a good or bad driver.
And I dare ya to treat the LEO who gets that call wrong the same way some of y'all treat an umpire.

Edit: Didn't want the post to come across as CoachCeetar is disrespectful to umpires.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
I don't think the pitcher's circle has come into play in any of the hundreds of games I've watched in the last 4 years.

Back in 8U rec ball, the entire game revolved around getting the ball back into the stupid circle.

Jun 22, 2008
I don't think the pitcher's circle has come into play in any of the hundreds of games I've watched in the last 4 years.

Back in 8U rec ball, the entire game revolved around getting the ball back into the stupid circle.
Around here high school pitchers appear to have forgotten what the circle is for. We had several pitches walking out the back of the circle not paying attention and we used it every chance we got.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Around here high school pitchers appear to have forgotten what the circle is for. We had several pitches walking out the back of the circle not paying attention and we used it every chance we got.
So if the pitcher walks out the back of the circle and you have a base runner say on 3rd base, how exactly do you use it?
And are you taking a risk that the ump might not know the rule well and make a call against you??

Jun 22, 2008
So if the pitcher walks out the back of the circle and you have a base runner say on 3rd base, how exactly do you use it?
And are you taking a risk that the ump might not know the rule well and make a call against you??
If the pitcher does not have both feet inside the circle the lookback rule is not in effect and the runners are free to advance at their own risk. Doesnt matter what base they are on, they can attempt to advance if they choose once the pitcher steps out of the circle. As for the umpires, they are supposed to be watching and paying attention, but, just to be sure if we noticed a pitcher stepping out of the circle we would quietly approach the base umpire and tell them that the pitcher is stepping out and we were likely to use it to our advantage if the opportunity presented itself.

Oct 4, 2018
What's confusing? He said they were not paying attention 🤷‍♂️

Ooops, I missed that part. Well if a pitcher isn't paying attention, I suppose a runner could advance and certainly worth taking advantage of. I've never seen it in this exact scenario. I've seen delayed steals when catchers are a bit lackadasical though. It's been a few years though. Doesn't happen as much as the girls age and improve.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
If you are speaking to me, I drive them to lessons (with someone who has forgotten more about pitching than I've ever known), sit down, and shut up. They moved beyond my pay grade long ago.

I will admit I misunderstood your post and thought you meant you were giving lessons. My apologies. Like you, I caught and watched way too many lessons ... but I never even tried to learn what was going on.

My point still stands in general though. It boggles my mind when I hear parents talk about the lessons their kid goes to and then I see the things the kid does in a game. Baseball and softball.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA