Discussion ???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
From my perspective, teaching any around, or rotation in a swing has more problems then benefits.

Yep, and trying to un-embed a rotation-thought-powered, bottom-hand pull, "around" mechanic in a swing is a monster fix -- dealing with that in a super-strong but "around" swing plane 18U hitter that just came to our team this winter...

Oct 27, 2015
bautistaoverheadzoom_zpsf42ad6e8.gif
[/URL][/IMG]

The terms linear and rotational were coined before there was any hd slo mo video of swings and:
Depends on how you are looking at it. I see the rear leg, the rear hip, and the hands going in a linear path from catcher out toward pitcher. Only thing I see going around are being moved that way by the rear side coming from behind out toward pitcher, or the hands being pulled around after arms reached extension. Now on some inside pitches there may be more "aroundness" to the swing, but just due to the hands being pulled in tighter.
From my perspective, teaching any around, or rotation in a swing has more problems then benefits.

Keep talking. My DD has a bad case of the round swing and has a very small contact area. We are both tired of me saying extend thru contact. Do you have anything drills or cues that could help us out?

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2009
Keep talking. My DD has a bad case of the round swing and has a very small contact area. We are both tired of me saying extend thru contact. Do you have anything drills or cues that could help us out?

FFS has some good visuals about the around and the along portions of the swing. Good thoughts for a hitter. They would be helpful.

As a swing thought, the main cue addressing an "around" swing should be to swing "out from" the body rather than around it.

Stretch and fire drills can help train the body and swing path for "out from" (do a search, there's tons of examples).

A very practical, very hitting-session-focused approach to solve an "around" swing in 10,000 reps fashion:

Make hitting "oppo" (opposite field) be central to all your hitting drills. Set the tee up outside and deep on the plate (ie, in relation to the hitter). Do oppo stop-on-contact swings to help the hitter understand contact point. Do oppo full swings to get the hitter to understand bat path and ball exit path (line drives to opposite side). Do the same with controlled soft-toss from 20 feet away (behind screen). Pitch outside, all drives should go oppo, with hitter focused on same contact point and bat path as on tee. When hitter swings "around" and pulls the ball, it's a mistake. Fix it. If they can't fix it at soft toss, move back to the tee. When oppo soft toss is mastered, move to the machine. Can the hitter keep their bat path, contact point and swing thoughts the same against machine pitch? If so, increase machine speed. Eventually, bring on a batting practice pitcher. See how game swings evolve. Rinse and repeat. Forever.

May 3, 2014
Around/Rotational swings are mainly one piece (hips/shoulders/hands) move together in same direction. Weight usually stays back.

When hitters learn to create a better sequence they will say the swing feels longer. And that is a good thing because they are feeling the effects of a better sequence that gets the barrel in the hitting zone earlier and stays there longer. This equates to lower half opening before the shoulders turn and allows the hands to take a more linear path to direct the barrel to contact.

mXGX5c.gif

1tFJ5r.gif

Xklqa4.gif

JNbiMR.gif

May 3, 2014
This is still considered the gold standard for fastpitch swings. Notice the similarities with the swings posted before.

jDIws4.gif

4RRyPX.gif
mXGX5c.gif

Oct 2, 2015
This is still considered the gold standard for fastpitch swings. Notice the similarities with the swings posted before.

jDIws4.gif

4RRyPX.gif
mXGX5c.gif

This right here... compare this fast pitch batter above, in the red jersey, hitting the ball to the very first GIF video clip posted...
The very first GIF clip has a batter with a ball under her rear (right) arm, forcing the right arm to stay tight and more linear to the ball.

In your opinion, which batter has a more rotational swing?...the fast pitch patter above in the red jersey, or the very first GIF clip?

I'll go first... I think the very first batter has a much "more" of a linear swing, and the batter above in the red jersey has a "more" of a rotational swing.
Is this due to the size and stature of the second batter?
A more stocky and muscular build, that prevents her from keeping the rear hand extremely tight to the body, like the first batter?

May 3, 2014

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA