Dirty play?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Catcher knows the rules. Batter should have been out for interference. Not sure why the runner on 3rd was even moving forward. Coaching error on 3rd base. He should have called time out after the interference.

Yea bush league for sure though

The only problem I see with this is the catcher wasn't making a throw to 3B, watch the video again.... so then, the batter out for interference? Honestly, I have always coached F2 to attempt to clear themselves from the batter because we are attempting to pick the runner off. I wouldn't call a pick play unless I thought we have a chance for the out.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
This catcher is clearly throwing at the hitter and in a designed play. Take a look at the pitchout, her taking steps backward to get an angle on the hitter and then throw directly at the hitter's head.

Jun 1, 2013
I see it different. The catcher actually is clearing on the left side of the plate for a throw. The girl at 3rd doesn't even turn to go back to 3rd until batter is hit. Catcher has the freedom to try and make that play. Look at it again, a reasonable play could have been made on the 3rd base runner. She clears to left a bit slow (but they are young remember?) Sucks that it happened this way but I think you need a lot more evidence to say it was intentional. It is not like she had 3 or 4 pitches and the coaches saw her stepping out like that. How about instead of blaming the kids, let's talk about the coach not teaching them to stay in the box?

Sep 29, 2014
I see it different. The catcher actually is clearing on the left side of the plate for a throw. The girl at 3rd doesn't even turn to go back to 3rd until batter is hit. Catcher has the freedom to try and make that play. Look at it again, a reasonable play could have been made on the 3rd base runner. She clears to left a bit slow (but they are young remember?) Sucks that it happened this way but I think you need a lot more evidence to say it was intentional. It is not like she had 3 or 4 pitches and the coaches saw her stepping out like that. How about instead of blaming the kids, let's talk about the coach not teaching them to stay in the box?

how about let's stop pretending....that ball would not have made it half way down the line and....no girl at 10U is throwing a girl out standing a foot off the bag. This is straight from a bush league coach if you have any doubts earlier posters already said they know what this coach is made of.

as an ump I would call the coach and catcher together and I would talk to them..."Since I am only 99% sure this was on purpose I am giving you the benefit of the doubt this once but you will both be watching from the parking lot if I see that again. Then explain to the catcher if she is really wanting to throw someone out she better stand up and gun the ball down there like she means it because that looked like she was trying to hit the helmet and not throw to 3B."

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Still doesn't seem like a throw to 3B to me... It looks like a soft toss into the batters helmet. With that throw, the ball wouldn't have made it half-way to 3B. I've seen batters get hit in the back of the helmet with a pick attempt, and the ball goes a lot further away than ending up in front of the plate.

Jun 1, 2013
Clarification. ... It requires a lot more evidence to say it was a coach making this an intentional call. The girl throwing right in the ear hole looks intentional but as many of you former players know that if something draws your attention while throwing you will usually throw at what you are seeing. I don't see anyway you can say this is a called play on the coaches part. Catcher mad a clear move, runner was off base and last second the catcher is distracted by batters helmet MAYBE. I would lean to the side of poor decision by catcher and not called play by coach. Even though it is legal it doesn't look good for sure.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I don't believe that particular play was called by the coach... but I am willing to bet the coach has taught the catcher to do this

Jun 1, 2013
how about let's stop pretending....that ball would not have made it half way down the line and....no girl at 10U is throwing a girl out standing a foot off the bag. This is straight from a bush league coach if you have any doubts earlier posters already said they know what this coach is made of.

as an ump I would call the coach and catcher together and I would talk to them..."Since I am only 99% sure this was on purpose I am giving you the benefit of the doubt this once but you will both be watching from the parking lot if I see that again. Then explain to the catcher if she is really wanting to throw someone out she better stand up and gun the ball down there like she means it because that looked like she was trying to hit the helmet and not throw to 3B."

That runner is way further off than a foot. She take 5 or 6 running steps back to the bag after the batter is hit. Watch the runner and count steps. She is way off. True that throw would not have made it but at this age can't we expect some bad throws from catchers that have batters moving in front of them?

I don't know either team so I being unbiased. Wish I had video of our last game this weekend. I would show you guys Bush league. Coach kicked a slow rolling passed ball into the dugout so the winning run could score!! Umps no see it.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
I don't believe that particular play was called by the coach... but I am willing to bet the coach has taught the catcher to do this

Coach, or Dad...

I think she was taught to do that, and didn't want to hurt the batter, so she made that weak "toss" at her helmet.
If that batter ducks, the ball lands 6 feet up the line, not 60. Doesn't appear to me like she made any attempt at all to throw a runner out.

I'd love to see other video or her throwing at runners in the game.. Does she use her body and throw for real, or do that soft toss thing?

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
True that throw would not have made it but at this age can't we expect some bad throws from catchers that have batters moving in front of them?

That's no novice rec player behind the plate. She walks stride for stride with the batter, IMO deliberately keeping the batter between her and 3B. She had 3 steps (how many the batter took) to simply stop walking and the batter clears out for the throw down. Or a single step forward.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi