Dirty play?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
It's a called play or something they've taught the catcher to do any time a batter steps out of the box. Watch the defensive coach on the bucket. He's not at all surprised by what happened.

I probably would have gotten tossed if I was the 3rd base coach.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The catcher took a step back and intentionally hit the batter in the back of the head. If I was the home plate umpire I would have ejected the catcher and her head coach.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
And this just caps my day off. I just spent an hour trying to counsel a family that is having a hard time with softball. When did the sport become this nasty?

May 12, 2013
And the parents on that team were quick to defend it. Said it was our fault for not teaching our kids to stay in the box. We will learn from it but it still pisses me off every time I watch it.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
And this just caps my day off. I just spent an hour trying to counsel a family that is having a hard time with softball. When did the sport become this nasty?

When college coaches started actively recruiting thugs rather than ball players (this goes for all sports, not just softball)...when UICs and TDs started telling umpires not to eject players at any level for any reason to avoid the paperwork and protests...when parents started looking the other way chasing that scholarship $$ while ignoring a-hats and abusive coaches (whom they'd beat the hell out of for the coach's behavior toward their child if it wasn't on the softball field)...

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
does one foot or both have to be out of the box to be interference? I can't look at the video at work, I did see interference called on a batter w/one foot out of the box at a recent tournament. It was a purely an accidental incident but the batter turned toward 3rd immediately after the pitch as the catcher was moving to throw to third.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
1) 100% intentional, no question.

2) I'm a little confused - if the runner was coming home, isn't the batter supposed to get out of the way?

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Trying not to make a snap judgment, but given the size differential between the catcher and batter, it sure seems like she could have thrown right over the top of her if the intention was to throw the ball all the way to third. Instead she hits her square in the ear hole. Also looks like the catcher makes the last move to make sure she is in line with batter, rather than stepping forward which is what she should have done if she was trying to make the throw.

Very much a shame if this is something that was taught and any coach feels like he/she needs to play that way. If you resort to garbage like this it says a lot about what you think of your team's chances to win fair and square.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
2) I'm a little confused - if the runner was coming home, isn't the batter supposed to get out of the way?

A little tangential but if that were the case, Jackie Robinson would never have stolen home...

I've seen delayed steals when the catcher tosses the ball back to the pitcher and the runner breaks from 3rd...as long as the batter does not interfere with the catcher's play on the runner and gets out of the way of the play at home, she doesn't have to vacate the box just because the runner breaks...

Jan 23, 2014
I am irate! I can't think beyond profanities right now. Sick. I can't beleive the ump called her out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30