Dirty play?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2009
So that's why I hear stories of parents fighting in the stands! I think I would have lost my cool with everyone involved including the umpire, player, and coaches. The part that upsets me the most is the catcher would actually do this at that age.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
So that's why I hear stories of parents fighting in the stands! I think I would have lost my cool with everyone involved including the umpire, player, and coaches. The part that upsets me the most is the catcher would actually do this at that age.

right?! Both of my kids caught at one point and while I would tell them that on throw downs you just pretend like there is no batter, you clear and throw to third, if she gets hit, she gets hit, but you can't let her block you out once you have cleared a lane behind the box. I must have said this 50 times, not once did they listen, if the batter stepped out and blocked them they either made another clearing step to throw or didn't throw at all. 10 year olds don't do this unless they are coached to do this.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
right?! Both of my kids caught at one point and while I would tell them that on throw downs you just pretend like there is no batter, you clear and throw to third, if she gets hit, she gets hit, but you can't let her block you out once you have cleared a lane behind the box. I must have said this 50 times, not once did they listen, if the batter stepped out and blocked them they either made another clearing step to throw or didn't throw at all. 10 year olds don't do this unless they are coached to do this.

Unquestionable truth. 100% of the blame lies with the coach(es?). Unlike the TX HS catcher, a 10U catcher can't really be expected to know any better. Allowing such a coach to continue in that capacity reflects poorly on all affiliated with the entire organization.

Jun 12, 2015
I'm pretty sure my daughter couldn't make herself intentionally hit a girl even if her coach told her to. We had to teach her how to throw around a batter from her position at SS to 3rd, because she was so afraid of hitting the runner and hurting her that she made bad throws that went over 3B's head.

coachjwb

Love this game!
Apr 16, 2014
Northeast Ohio
Very easy to see in watching the video a couple of times to see it was clearly just an attempt to hit the batter ... with that being said, I'm not sure the umpire would have been able to see that intent in live action. I would also acknowledge that it might not have been a "play" by the defensive team, but instead a catcher who was told the rules and either decided to do this on her own or who may have had a misguided parent instructing her to do this ...

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
These are young kids. A girl does what she thinks she is supposed to do, gets the call from the ump, and throws softly enough that nobody is hurt.

However, having this video on YouTube has the potential to destroy a young girl's life, break up the team, drive some volunteer coaches who may not have done anything wrong out of the game, and convince a lot of the girls on the team to quit softball.

At this point the video does a lot more damage than the throw.

I would very strongly suggest the video be removed, unless the goal is to destroy the young girl's life.

Jun 11, 2013
Unlike the High School catcher, I don't think anyone blames the kid. Some coach taught and told her to do this. I hope it ruins the coaches career because the one who taught this has no business being around youth sports.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877