Dinger Exit Velocity

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Unless I am mistaken “stop swings” aren’t dialed back until you stop at contact..eg after the ball has left the bat. Unless my suggestion about spooky action at a distance actually holds true in hitting, what happens with the swing after contact doesn’t matter..😉

I've seen 10 YO hit a ball 200+ ft. Heck, I can barely bend over to tie my shoes most days and I can hit front toss 230+ ft with a 32/22 bat. It isn't hard for a grown woman with decent swing mechanics, a composite bat and a polycore ball to hit a ball 220+ ft..

Last edited:
May 18, 2019
q is called the collision efficiency and relates the ball speed before (eg pitch speed) and after (eg exit velocity) collision. This can be measured for different bats,balls and contact locations. The physics (see http://baseball.physics.illinois.edu/AJP-Nov2000.pdf) that goes into this number is somewhat complicated and takes into account the inelasticity of the collision. A good portion of the initial (before contact) ball and bat energy gets dissipated into heat during the collision. As mentioned in the article I linked below, this number is weakly dependent on the relative velocity between the pitch velocity and bat velocity so one can assume it won't change a lot for different batters/pitchers and only really depends on the ball and bat used for a given contact location on a bat. The number I quoted for a wood bat (q=0.2) is for contact on the sweet spot.

The q vs 1+q simply comes from the fact that the exit velocity for the ball is in the opposite direction as the pitch velocity but in the same direction as the bat velocity. See page 2 of the below article

Fascinating. It's been a while since I dug into some math/physics equations but thank you for the link. Helped me understand better.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I am not discounting stop swings, only saying that unless you significantly dial back the swing before contact during stop swings, hitting a ball out using them isn't too difficult to imagine.
Yes. ⬆️ The power from initiating the swing to contact is enough to drive a ball over the fence.
Would add in doing that it's hard to stop the Barrel in exactly the spot the bat makes contact. * unless dramatically cut down on body speed. Like you said.

If in full motion often leads to the bat following through past point of contact. That is where I commented add turnpoint at the pitcher. Brings a control element into the factor.

Actually on right-handed hitter like to do this controlled hitting to have batters learn to keep their front shoulder and left arm from turning/pulling out too soon.

One student I'm working with hitting,
the direction we were facing doing hitting she was pulling her shoulder left arm out too soon. Which was the direction of Oregon.
I said to her 'let's try to keep that left side in California, doesn't need to be in Oregon.' Today she sent me this text.
Fun stuff!
Screenshot_20230101-111221_Messages.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Yes. ⬆️ The power from initiating the swing to contact is enough to drive a ball over the fence.
Would add in doing that it's hard to stop the Barrel in exactly the spot the bat makes contact. * unless dramatically cut down on body speed. Like you said.

If in full motion often leads to the bat following through past point of contact. That is where I commented add turnpoint at the pitcher. Brings a control element into the factor.

Actually on right-handed hitter like to do this controlled hitting to have batters learn to keep their front shoulder and left arm from turning/pullinh out too soon.

One student I'm working with the direction we were facing doing hitting she was pulling her shoulder left arm out too soon which was the direction of Oregon I said to her let's try to keep that left side in California doesn't need to be in Oregon. Today she sent me this text.
Fun stuff!
View attachment 27142

I don't specifically do stop swings with DD but when she is consciously working on a better path during BP with me she will often cut her follow through short..sort of a natural stop swing I guess.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I don't specifically do stop swings with DD but when she is consciously working on a better path during BP with me she will often cut her follow through short..sort of a natural stop swing I guess.
Appears that's very similar to what I was describing.

Like to do things that stimulate mechanical control. And reproduce at faster rate. Good muscle memory stuff.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs