Dinger Exit Velocity

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
View attachment 27137

View attachment 27138
I think it is a bit higher of a percentage due to the bats. The equation is

EV=q*Vp+(1+q)*Vb

where Vp and Vb are pitch and bat velocity respectively and q takes into account the collision physics due to the bat and ball. q is 0.2 for a wood bat and something like 0.3 for a composite bat.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Lots of little details that might be marginal or more than marginal. Those were just some quick Google searches.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

EV=q*Vp+(1+q)*Vb

where Vp and Vb are pitch and bat velocity respectively and q takes into account the collision physics due to the bat and ball. q is 0.2 for a wood bat and something like 0.3 for a composite bat.
How about size/weight of the ball difference?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal

EV=q*Vp+(1+q)*Vb

If q for a wood bat is .2 then a composite has to be at least double or qqq. 😂

May 18, 2019

EV=q*Vp+(1+q)*Vb

Super interesting. What's the reason it's only q on the pitch vs 1+q on the bat velocity? Intuitively I would have thought it would be q(Vp+Vb) but that's probably why I decided against being an engineer. Seems like on a perfect swing they would contribute equally though clearly that's not the case and I suspect the equation isn't accounting for a lower probability of hitting a faster pitch perfectly.

Jun 8, 2016
Super interesting. What's the reason it's only q on the pitch vs 1+q on the bat velocity? Intuitively I would have thought it would be q(Vp+Vb) but that's probably why I decided against being an engineer. Seems like on a perfect swing they would contribute equally though clearly that's not the case and I suspect the equation isn't accounting for a lower probability of hitting a faster pitch perfectly.
q is called the collision efficiency and relates the ball speed before (eg pitch speed) and after (eg exit velocity) collision. This can be measured for different bats,balls and contact locations. The physics (see http://baseball.physics.illinois.edu/AJP-Nov2000.pdf) that goes into this number is somewhat complicated and takes into account the inelasticity of the collision. A good portion of the initial (before contact) ball and bat energy gets dissipated into heat during the collision. As mentioned in the article I linked below, this number is weakly dependent on the relative velocity between the pitch velocity and bat velocity so one can assume it won't change a lot for different batters/pitchers and only really depends on the ball and bat used for a given contact location on a bat. The number I quoted for a wood bat (q=0.2) is for contact on the sweet spot.

The q vs 1+q simply comes from the fact that the exit velocity for the ball is in the opposite direction as the pitch velocity but in the same direction as the bat velocity. See page 2 of the below article

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quickpitch