Dinger Exit Velocity

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
Just clarifying which version of stop we talking about in posts above, that coupled with the fact the video doesn't even show her go hard to extiension, makes the homerun even crazier! :oops: I would love to know the bat weight she was swinging.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Just clarifying which version of stop we talking about in posts above, that coupled with the fact the video doesn't even show her go hard to extiension, makes the homerun even crazier! :oops:
Again does contact usually occur at or near extension in a good swing? Yes or no? If yes than either those drills describe the same thing or one of them is named improperly.

In any case, unless either one of those versions of the drill call for you to go at it 50% before contact, it doesn’t matter in the context of what we are talking about. What happens with the swing after contact doesn’t matter in terms of ball flight.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
Again does contact usually occur at or near extension in a good swing? Yes or no? If yes than either those drills describe the same thing or one of them is named improperly.

In any case, unless either one of those versions of the drill call for you to go at it 50% before contact, it doesn’t matter in the context of what we are talking about. What happens with the swing after contact doesn’t matter in terms of ball flight.

Many instructors and coaches will work to contact, then to extensions then to full. At contact work is great for seeing and showing where and how you are making contact with the ball...To extension can show many other things in how you finish as ball exits and the body language that goes with that prior to finishing the swing. Just different steps and parts of swing to analzye and tweak for corrections, OR adjust to dial things in in most cases. To contact is especially good when training if the ball isn't coming clean off the barrel for players, it's also a good starting spot prior to going full swings.

I don't want to change the headline, sorry. I was just asking for clarity in what type of stop swing that was stated earlier.

Jun 8, 2016
Many instructors and coaches will work to contact, then to extensions then to full. At contact work is great for seeing and showing where and how you are making contact with the ball...To extension can show many other things in how you finish as ball exits and the body language that goes with that prior to finishing the swing. Just different steps and parts of swing to analzye and tweak for corrections, OR adjust to dial things in in most cases. To contact is especially good when training if the ball isn't coming clean off the barrel for players, it's also a good starting spot prior to going full swings.

I don't want to change the headline, sorry. I was just asking for clarity in what type of stop swing that was stated earlier.
Yeah I guess if you are not getting extended stop at contact will demonstrate that but like I said in a good swing you are making contact near or at extension so it is the same thing. @Westwind ’s DD has a very good swing so I am guessing she was doing stop at contact and stop at extension 😉

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Stop at contact /extension. Kind of the same thing. The idea is to be connected at contact.
Story:
Went to a local park to get in some work and there was a dad
/DD putting in some work. (nobody else there). It was during Christmas break. As I approach the field to inquire how much longer they were going to be there I could not help but notice dad throwing front toss and the hitter smoking line drives with a half swing. Me, not being shy, ask dad about the half swings and what she was working on. He said, recognizing pitch location and proper contact point for inside and outside pitches. Hitter was very strong. I asked ,"Who does your DD play for?" He said, "Alabama, University of Alabama."
We practice pitch recognition/ contact point, half swings on a regular basis.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
Stop at contact /extension. Kind of the same thing. The idea is to be connected at contact.
Story:
Went to a local park to get in some work and there was a dad
/DD putting in some work. (nobody else there). It was during Christmas break. As I approach the field to inquire how much longer they were going to be there I could not help but notice dad throwing front toss and the hitter smoking line drives with a half swing. Me, not being shy, ask dad about the half swings and what she was working on. He said, recognizing pitch location and proper contact point for inside and outside pitches. Hitter was very strong. I asked ,"Who does your DD play for?" He said, "Alabama, University of Alabama."
We practice pitch recognition/ contact point, half swings on a regular basis.
We work as seperate...Contact is stopping at ball contact, extension is to locked wrists before roll after contact.

Dec 11, 2010
Reference my story, dd was doing stop at contact. Years ago she did stop at extension but as far as I know it has been a long time.

It makes sense to me that bat speed has not come to a stop prior to contact as Pattar references.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Training for bat path matters. I agree once the ball is off the bat it's flying.
To help train bat path~
Train to contact.
AND
Train through contact.

This conversation might get convoluted because not everybody's contact point is in the same place with their mechanics.
And not everybody's bat path travels in the same trajectory as each other. Some mechanics barrell only stays in the zone momentarily. (like dipping into the zone)
While others stay through the zone a little longer. (Barrel follows trajectory behind ball.)

* Examples
Some hitting mechanics have already expired the bodies rotation work while the barrel is still trailing.
Contact Point may NOT be out front.

Other hitting mechanics have the bodies rotation work aligned with the barrel making contact.
Barrel to the ball, in front of the belly and use the booyah. (tushie)
Contact Point more likely to be out front.

* simple descriptions.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs