dimpled machine balls

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Has anyone ever experienced bat damage while hitting the rubber machine balls? I was always under the impression that they are less invasive on a bat that real balls... however, an older aluminum stealth bat is now egg shaped and dented up badly after a session in the cage?

Dec 11, 2010
I really like the atec supersoft dimple balls. Don't know if they prevent damage though.

Dec 7, 2011
So I want to believe that DD's RT got dented from them....... No proof though.

Yes our RT has visible non-rounding after 3 yrs.... :-(

This is also the bat that gets slung around all the cages & hs practices and such (where allot less care is taken)

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
DD has broken/dented several in the cages. That is why many people suggest buying an inexpensive bat of the same weight and weight distribution to use in the batting cages as opposed to using the game bat. Another thing to mention is that using some bats in the cages, such as some composites, will void their warranty. So read it carefully before using any new bat in the cages.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
My best guess is, there are machine balls and then, there are machine balls. I would never take a good bat and hit at the outside cages where those balls are 20 years old and the balls are as hard as Fred Flintstones bowling ball.

But, it only takes one of those balls mixed in with good ones at an indoor facility.

I will use the above instances to fuel my disdain for pitching machines. :)

Oct 10, 2011
My best guess is, there are machine balls and then, there are machine balls. I would never take a good bat and hit at the outside cages where those balls are 20 years old and the balls are as hard as Fred Flintstones bowling ball.

But, it only takes one of those balls mixed in with good ones at an indoor facility.

I will use the above instances to fuel my disdain for pitching machines. :)
Amy, as usual, is right. I can't believe how hard some of those balls get with age. I picked one up the other day that was as hard as a rock.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
There are no standard specs for pitching machine balls - who knows what you might be hitting. The higher compression/harder balls last longer and are more cost effective for a facility. Because of these concerns, I don't think there's a single bat company whose print doesn't void the warranty on any bat subject to cage use. Batter beware!

Jun 24, 2013
DD has a batting machine aluminum bat. With that said school tryouts are coming up and she will be using her composite bat in the cage until she makes, or doesn’t, the Team. If it breaks it breaks, she needs all the help she can get. If she makes the Team the composite bat is back in the bag hitting against a machine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi