Intro-level (but "real") bat for 7/8 YO?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
My daughter has outgrown the Easton, solid metal, pink and white t-ball bat we used for the past 2-3 years. (15 oz?) She's now in 2nd grade. This past fall season, she started using her teammates' bats. They were much longer, probably b/c they were actual fastpitch bats vs our generic $20-25 t-ball bat. She now says the tball bats are too light, so I guess it's time to step up to a real bat.

She's above the curve size-wise for her age, but not huge (no one thinks she's a fourth or fifth grader!). And as it just took me about 5 minutes to figure out how to phrase that last sentence, I'm just going to say she's probably strong for her age, so super-light is not a requirement.

To date, it's been all coach-pitch using 10" and then 11" Incredi-balls. So if anything, I think the denser t-ball bat was actually to her benefit with the "mush" balls. The next 1.5 years will also use 11' Incredi-balls.

However - a few weeks ago, our league announced "tryouts" for a developmental 9U team. Not to determine roster spaces (separate tryout will be held in the Spring), but to hand out invites to the winter practices, held in Jan-Feb. Invites are used b/c it's indoors at a middle school, so space is limited. But long story short, she received an invite.

So to finally get to my question - what are my options for a bat? I would prefer something in the $50 or below range, but can go a little higher if needed. I don't care about "hot" bats - guess my only requirement would be it could hold up to machine pitched rubber balls, incredi-balls, and a regular compression 11" ball (these were what were used at the tryouts - holy cow are they hard!).

I only searched a few pages back in this thread - so apologies if I missed an older 20-page post complete with charts cross-referencing a kids height and weight with length and drop.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

--Gags

JustBats

Baseball & Softball Bats
Nov 10, 2016
Kansas City, MO
What length to weight ratio is the t-ball bat your DD is currently using? You mentioned that it might weigh 15 ounces and that is too light. If you're looking to go up in weight (16-17 oz.) but still want a high length to weight ratio, the highest you'll be able to find is a -13. Also, if you want to stay right around $50, check out the 2017 Combat MAXUM. The great thing about this model is that it features a 30 day performance guarantee where you can actually try the bat out for up to 30 days. If for any reason you are not satisfied, you may return it for a full refund or exchange as long as it is within 30 days from your purchase date.

If you wanted to go up in price, the Mizuno Silhouette is very highly reviewed and the DeMarini Bustos has been a great option over the years. All three of these options will feature a -13 length to weight ratio and will absolutely hold up to the balls you mentioned.

Jun 12, 2015
When our DD was 7 and we wanted to get her her first "real" bat (not the $20 kind at Walmart) we got a second-hand Demarini. It was a CF4 but the equivalent now would probably be a CF6 or 7. You can often find good deals on second-hand bats that still have a lot of life in them. She also swung a Miken for awhile; it was $100 new and she liked it a lot.

May 22, 2015
Illinois
As mentioned the Bustos is a pretty good option. If you can find one the Miken Halo Light is a good bat at -12.5. DD swung one for a few years and liked it.

Mar 8, 2016
I second the idea of looking for a used bat. At all ages the swing is more important than the bat. It is espicially true at the younger ages. Ask the coaches if they know if there is someone who has a bat there DD has outgrown for sale. We still loan out my DD's first real bat to younger kids. All we ask is to get it back after they are done with it. It was a birthday present for her at 10 years old and she even named it. At this point it means something to me and not to her but I have decided to keep it for now. So far 2 kids have used it until they were ready for their own bat.

Thanks,

John

Jun 19, 2016
I just got my not quite 8 year old DD a LXT but she is far from average. After denting 4 aluminum bats I knew they would not hold up to her...at least not the -11 she wanted. The funny thing is a -12 can sometimes be stronger than a -12 because 7050 aluminum alloy is used. Without knowing her height/weight it is hard to say but a 28/16 is a good bet for 8U. Also, do not spend big money on a bat until you have spend big money on hitting lessons. I will provide one word of caution regarding young players and 1 piece composite bats... whenever they don't hit the sweet spot it stings there hands and usually kills their swing. I would be careful about that Combat bat suggested above. Perhaps the gurrantee provides insurance but I have seen very few 8U players enjoy hitting with a one piece composite bat.

Jun 12, 2015
I second the idea of looking for a used bat. At all ages the swing is more important than the bat. It is espicially true at the younger ages. Ask the coaches if they know if there is someone who has a bat there DD has outgrown for sale. We still loan out my DD's first real bat to younger kids. All we ask is to get it back after they are done with it. It was a birthday present for her at 10 years old and she even named it. At this point it means something to me and not to her but I have decided to keep it for now. So far 2 kids have used it until they were ready for their own bat.

Thanks,

John

We still have the CF4. It's cracked and unusable but we haven't thrown it out. :)

Feb 11, 2014
Kingsville, Texas
I have to agree with just bats on the new combat. It's a good bat, full composite. My 6 year old really likes it and for $50 I happy with it too.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2015
Thanks for all the advice so far! I will confirm height and (approx. :) ) weight when I get home, and check the weight on our old bats.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi