Would you use a different bat for hitting rubber dimple balls off machine?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 28, 2019
Stepping up my home game, adding a bat cage to yard. Find my pitching machine is more consistent with dimple balls. Would you guys recommend using a different bat than her "game bat" to use at the house hitting these rubber balls?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yes use different bat.
They do not tolerate machine dimple balls well.
Check warranty on this also.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Truthfully, it depends. If they are new dimple balls you just purchased and haven't been left outdoors to weather, you'll be fine with using the bat. Otherwise, if the balls or old, weathered, hard, etc. then don't use it. Since a majority of the dimple balls being used, either at home, or in a commercial batting cage are of the latter variety, it's easier to just say to not use them with a game bat and why bat manufacturers will not cover a bat under warranty if used.

Dec 11, 2010
We do this^^^^^

Currently using 4 buckets of Badens I bought in the fall that are stored inside out of sun and weather at all times. I’m also careful to rotate them so they wear evenly. They replaced three buckets of Baden’s that were showing their age but were probably still fine.

I also am a believer in setting up a machine to throw “reasonable” pitches. Y’know, pitches that the player will see in competition. Not “what if we see a 65 mph this weekend in 14u”. Play the most likely scenario.

Bats break when hitters are overmatched and they are hitting balls off the handle and the end cap. The org dd plays for hits regulation softballs out of a machine. They DESTROY bats. High velocity, lots of movement. It isn’t the balls, it’s the crappy contact.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
The problem with getting a cheap bat for batting cage BP is, quite simply put, a different bat. It won't have the same feel, bat weight, weight placement, etc. Because of this, the bat will swing differently than her game bat. If she gets used to the BP bat, what she would be squaring up in the cage, may become a mis-hit in a game with her game bat. Also, a different bat will give your DD entirely different feedback as to whether or not the ball was squared up.

Since many bat models are little more than repaints from year to year, the best thing you can do is purchase an older, used same make and model bat. As @Rolling Hard said, you can find them reasonably priced.

Last edited:

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Stepping up my home game, adding a bat cage to yard. Find my pitching machine is more consistent with dimple balls. Would you guys recommend using a different bat than her "game bat" to use at the house hitting these rubber balls?

While we leave the final decision to the owner of the bat, we strongly urge them to NOT use the game bat in non-game situations such as hitting machine balls. These bats are not cheap. Some should not be used under certain weather conditions, and some have a limit on the number of contact swings that the bat is effective. But once again, it is up to the bat owner.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619