Diffrent pitches 12u pitchers should know

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2018
Point at x=0 is the release point. Red line is trajectory without gravity (or spin). Black line would be trajectory
with gravity and spin. Riseball never gets above red line but it can be higher (larger y) than the y value at x=0.

View attachment 22351

I feel like I have had this conversation about 10 times on here :LOL:

So if that red line was straight and the ball had spin would it or could it with proper spin, spin rate and velocity crops the plate above where it started.
I say absolutely. Of course at some point spin velocity and gravity effect the ball in a way that causes it to drop.
What say you. ? Because what it seems you’re saying is a ball without spin or proper velocity. Do have that correct. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
So if that red line was straight and the ball had spin would it or could it with proper spin, spin rate and velocity crops the plate above where it started.
Of course..that is what the graph shows along with every fastball,riseball, etc that ends up at a hitter's eyes... ;)
This is why you see Barry Bonds, Albert Pujols, etc whiff when they see fastpitch for the first time..that never happens in baseball
and it screws with their brain..

Edit: It can happen in baseball with a submarine pitcher like Dan Quisenberry but it is rare..

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Bla bla bla to the rise doesnt rise.

Yes they move UP
even no spin thrown from a release point of 30" and ends UP at the batter at 50" has
traveled UP in pitch location.

Just because a pitcher may have horrible spin or even speed for that matter, can still use HIGHER pitch locations.

Remember batters have to contend with
Visually recognizing pitches and perceive a location with timing. To apply a swing.

A change up that can be thrown 2 different speeds is 2 pitches.

A drop that can be thrown at 2 speeds is 2 pitches.

Thats already 4 pitches

Add a HIGH FLINGING UP PITCH
for a visual waste pitch...
=5 pitches

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
A riseball that ends up above the original trajectory is physically possible. It is not however, humanly possible.
Yes..I said that already too...It is physically possible for the black line to go above the red line in my graph but humans at this point in time cannot throw hard enough with enough spin to make it happen....

Jun 8, 2016
Blah,blah, blah...
Sure, the ball can cross the plate above where it is released but nothing I have read says it is possible (with the velocity and spin possible) that it can be above where it would be had there been no gravity. That said, that doesn't really matter. The deception of it (just like the deception of a CU and what makes a slider so difficult to hit in baseball) is what matters in terms of hitting.
Try paying attention.

Jul 5, 2016

Yes they move UP
even no spin thrown from a release point of 30" and ends UP at the batter at 50" has
traveled UP in pitch location.

So, that is a fastball on an upward trajectory. But I would agree that it is easier to say "throw a riseball" as opposed to "throw a fastball on an upward trajectory".

Jun 8, 2016
So, that is a fastball on an upward trajectory. But I would agree that it is easier to say "throw a riseball" as opposed to "throw a fastball on an upward trajectory".
A riseball is really a "less fall ball" ;)

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Blah,blah, blah...

Try paying attention.
Try allowing others comments to be allowed to join the thread without you trying to be the monitor what people bring to the threads .

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Think there is also confusion
About what folks call
A straight pitch- aka fastball.
Especially when its NOT faster.

To that point
Pitching to locations
Who cares if theres spin or movement--- stop throwing meat down the middle right?!!

Just commenting that...
Intension of where we want the pitch may come first.
Then how it looks getting there becomes more important.

Spin becomes part of illusion.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles