Diffrent pitches 12u pitchers should know

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2019
Ok, so my daughters competitive 12u coach is complaining saying that she should know way more pitches by now. She has a great fastball, change up, and ok drop. How many pitches should a 12u pitcher know?

Also he claims his other pitcher knows a curve BUT from what I can tell its just an inside fastball.

Does anyony have memes poking fun of coaches like this? Ive seen some before but i cant find any now

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
DD plays 12u/14u C/B and has two pitches. Her fastball/drop ball (same pitch in my opinion. Others will disagree which is fine) and change up. She varies location (sometimes not on purpose ;)) on both and does well. She doesn’t have “heat” and lives on movement right now.

If your pitcher doesn’t “own” her 2 or 3 pitches why add something else? Better to be an expert at a few than just okay at many.

A fast-drop ball with good movement and accurate location is devastating. Add in an off-speed pitch and you’ll succeed there for quite some time. Eventually add in a rise and good luck hitters.

Just my two cents.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
DD plays 12u/14u C/B and has two pitches. Her fastball/drop ball (same pitch in my opinion. Others will disagree which is fine) and change up. She varies location (sometimes not on purpose ;)) on both and does well. She doesn’t have “heat” and lives on movement right now.

If your pitcher doesn’t “own” her 2 or 3 pitches why add something else? Better to be an expert at a few than just okay at many.

A fast-drop ball with good movement and accurate location is devastating. Add in an off-speed pitch and you’ll succeed there for quite some time. Eventually add in a rise and good luck hitters.

Just my two cents.
agree 1000 percent. Drop (also the fastball) and change at this age. Add the rise later. Those 3 pitches is all she needs. Will take her to the World Series IMHO.

S3

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
There is a meme with "The Dude" saying something like Your kid doesn't have 6 pitches, she has two...a ball and a strike.

I can't find it right now.

3a93a590da67f71c8e4287c5ca5e382c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Ok, so my daughters competitive 12u coach is complaining saying that she should know way more pitches by now. She has a great fastball, change up, and ok drop. How many pitches should a 12u pitcher know?

My poor DD only had two...she pitched D1. (She changed speeds with her drop.)

If you watch the NCAA playoffs, the pitchers usually have a rise, change and fastball.

What D1 pitchers do have is superb control.

Nov 18, 2013
DD only had a fastball at 12U. A change up would have helped a lot, but she never got the hang of it until college.

Jan 28, 2017
IMO, if you have 3 great ones then no need for another one. If one isn't very good, I think you can experiment with a new one. You can always take away the one that isn't good later on.

My DD was taught HE and had a great change, good curve, OK drop, OK screw, and was learning rise.

Switched to IR and has lost the change but getting better (another story), curve best pitch, drop curve is good, and Rise with more speed will be awesome. Took screw and drop out but added drop curve with the suggestion from Coach Pauly. She was throwing her change to hard and he said to throw it harder and call it a drop curve.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad