Difficult Decision - What would you do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2010
Quick update. Spoke to my wife this morning and she gave me her unique perspective. First off she used my own words against and reminded me I am fond of quoting Star Trek, "...the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.". Basically she called me on the table and reminded I can't have it both ways. Then she pointedly reminded me that the "Sins of the Father" is often used against me. My wife is the vice principle at our local high school and one of her primary duties is student discipline. She has been in that job for over 15 years and many of the people in the league who have a problem with me really have a problem with my wife. Either she has disciplined their kids or in some more recent cases she actually disciplined the parents. She also apparently knows the family in question well and told me he was banned from the HS football field during practices for behavior issues related to his older son. Honestly I didn't know you could be banned. I am going to conduct tryouts and if she makes the top 6 I have no choice but to take her. I will then evaluate the remaining 6 and choose the players that give me the best chance of winning this season. I will make my decision after I see who comes out and what talent I get to choose from. Thank you all for your input.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
SoCalDad, I'm not especially religious (though the majority of my praying occurs on the softball field!) but I have the same morals that you do in this situation. You can not fault this child for what her father does.

And this is coming from a girl whose father can often be an idiot. However, after buying my entire Varsity team SunDrops today (drink like Mountain Dew or Mellow Yellow for those of you who aren't in Dixie and don't have them)... he's not being much of an idiot at the moment lol.

Oct 19, 2009
She tells me that all the time.

We have that in common. My wife isn't a coach or softball expert, but manages to give me awesome insight and keeps me pointed in the right direction.

Kind of like this weekend we were losing 11-2 and she comes over and says "hon, you're getting your a$$ kicked". Ok, bad example...

Feb 8, 2009
Do not take this personally, but when I handle issues of this kind, I never ask myself "What would a school administrator do? " I find "institutional Justice" extremely flawed.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
Best of luck to you. If you select this player, you may be on pins and needles the entire tournament season waiting for this "parent to act badly". I had a tough set of parents last season - the player was a good kid; the parents were just very difficult to deal wtih. Since coaching is a pro bono occupation, I tried to focus on the fact that all of the other parents and players appreciated the effort expended to try and have everyone enjoy the season.

Feb 9, 2009
We have that in common. My wife isn't a coach or softball expert, but manages to give me awesome insight and keeps me pointed in the right direction.

Kind of like this weekend we were losing 11-2 and she comes over and says "hon, you're getting your a$$ kicked". Ok, bad example...

ok, that was really funny!!!
At least she acknowledges you during a game...my husband refuses to come anywhere near the dugout. I don't know if he's just letting me coach, or if he doesn't want the other team to know who he is...

Mar 15, 2010

To this day my wife cannot tell the difference between a change-up and a fastball. Yet every time I get a runner thrown out at home she tells me, "I wouldn't have sent her".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32