Developing young pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 23, 2011
NC
Looking for some direction on how to start to develop young pitchers 10u. I have been around the game for over 10 years, but have very little experience with developing pitchers, I have always focused on the hitters and defensive skill development, now I have gone back to working with younger players again I would like to improve my knowledge in this area of the game. All advice is welcome.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Just a bucket Dad here but I just got Bill Hillhouse's DVD called "Building the House." It's a great video which explains in lay-man's terms how the basic mechanics and fundamentals of the pitching motion should be. He also gives you drills to work on. Even if you don't subscribe to his theories or follow through, it's still a great video for beginning instruction. If after watching that, you feel it's still above your head, then suggest a pitching coach.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I would bring a pitching coach in.

If you can find one, this is the way to go.

I'm assuming you do hitting and fielding well. Stick to what you do well, bring someone else in to help with the pitching.

Dec 19, 2008
Definitely bring in a pitching instructor. After 4 years with my daughter, and I couldn't even begin to tell/teach someone how to pitch. I can tell what dd is doing wrong or right, and what she needs to do to correct it or build upon it, but that's as far as I can take it.

Nov 29, 2009
Looking for some direction on how to start to develop young pitchers 10u. I have been around the game for over 10 years, but have very little experience with developing pitchers, I have always focused on the hitters and defensive skill development, now I have gone back to working with younger players again I would like to improve my knowledge in this area of the game. All advice is welcome.

I have worked extensively with raw beginners for several years now. I will tell you this. Working with young kids taxes your pitching mechanics knowledge to its limits. You need a consistent process for developing a sound foundation with the ability to tailor it to individual kids needs.

If you have no knowledge or understanding at all about the windmill pitching motion you're best served to stay away from trying to teach it. All you'll be doing is trying to learn the same time the kids do without an idea of where you are headed and what you are trying to accomplish. Your best bet is to obtain the services of an experienced pitching coach.

Some people will tell you an alternative is to seek out a HS girl in your area to teach the kids. the basics. I would recommend not doing that. Too often the girls don't have the necessary experience working with young kids to recognize and correct flaws in the motion.

Jul 21, 2008
Do your research on pitching instructors....about 95% of pitching instructors (at least in NC) will teach the push down/pull up mechanics and the Hello elbow finish. Before I would take my 7,8, or 9 yr old to one of these PC and spend $$ I would read this board starting with the Internal Rotation thread. If you can get a good understanding of the IR mechanics you have the tools to get a young beginner pitcher started. When they can do the basis show it and throw it drill correctly and consistantly they are ready for the next phase.

I'm not saying that you don't need a pitching coach just do your research before spending the cash. Much easier to teach correct mechanics from the start.

Oct 22, 2009
Some people will tell you an alternative is to seek out a HS girl in your area to teach the kids. the basics. I would recommend not doing that. Too often the girls don't have the necessary experience working with young kids to recognize and correct flaws in the motion.
I second that. Some of the students I have from high school pitchers are the worse as far as good mechanics.
I've seen a lot them just emulate the drills they were taught. They have no idea how to fix a mechanical issue or what is causing it. They also don't know about what could be potential injury causing actions.

When my DD was in high school, I began giving lessons to local pitchers free of charge. I would have my DD help me. Even though by high school she had already seen several pitching instructors and knew there was more than one way to skin a cat, she was great with kids and they liked her, I kept her away from the beginners and had her work more with the ones that were further along.

I'm not saying they are all bad, just be careful if you choose a HS student.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Maybe I missed it but I would also mention an instructor's ability to communicate with the youngest students.

Many a knowlegeable pitching instructor cannot bring their level of teaching down to the young students level of understanding. They get so hung up on trying to impress the parents or coaches, they totally forget who they are supposed to be teaching.

You have to get their attention and you have to keep it and keep them focused. The minute you become boring, you just lost them, their attention will wander to whatever or whoever else is happening nearby.

I know some pitching instructors that are fantastic with the HS age students, howecer, the 12 or younger students do not like them. Too, serious, too gruff, not fun at all.

If you cant make them smile, make them laugh and make them leave KNOWING they have learned SOMETHING that day that is going to make them a better pitcher, you will not be a successful instructor. You can even spot some of them on this board. They will come up with all kinds of statements to blame their own inability to get through to the kids on the kids themselves.

They just dont have the right Genes, they are unteachable, they dont have the work ethics needed, etc. All kinds of lame excuses for instructor to blame it on the students and not themselves.

Go watch a pitching instructor teach. Watch the reactions of the very young students.

If you are so old that you do not have the ability to think like an 8 or 9 year old, you will be a sad excuse as an instructor for that age group..

If they leave NOT looking forward to their next session with you, YOU HAVE FAILED THEM AND IT WILL SHOW VERY QUICKLY.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
Someone at home, has to be able to catch for the girl and learn along with her. It is impossible to teach someone, if they aren't going to practice.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06