Deemphasize loading?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 14, 2010
Screw,

If they aren't being taught coil then they are missing a very important part of a swing. By you saying they are loaded by the static stance I take that as they are just weighting the back foot. If I'm not taking that correct I apologize.

T

theaddition

FYI:

I was a good hitter and still am in slowpitch, and I play golf. I am small and hit the bar far, so I know my legs and hips are there.

I don't get load at all. Sorry. I don't see it. I have to emphasize that some of us do not approach sports from this perspective. I tried to do it like was said and my hitting went to pot.

So I am going to back to my 'dumb' version where I don't think at all.

Jessica Mendoza Softball Training - HIT: The Load : Softball.com - YouTube

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
FYI:

I was a good hitter and still am in slowpitch, and I play golf. I am small and hit the bar far, so I know my legs and hips are there.

I don't get load at all. Sorry. I don't see it. I have to emphasize that some of us do not approach sports from this perspective. I tried to do it like was said and my hitting went to pot.

So I am going to back to my 'dumb' version where I don't think at all.

When you get to toe touch you need to be in pretty much a certain position. How you load is still a matter of style.

Some can start with their hands back and still, stride, and hit well (like you)

Some prefer to bring the hands back slowly a little bit before their stride, like the clip of the college player on this thread.

Some can bring their hands back and stride simultaneously and stay under control and still be on time, like the Bonds clip.

Personally as a coach I've had the best luck with #2 for young kids who don't load.

Nothing wrong with your style but let's all be careful not to force kids to adopt our personal style.

Personally for me in the batting cage, if I try to go to a higher speed machine and load like Bonds I am lost. If I pull my hands back a little the next pitch I will be way out front. It's just a matter of a pitch or two more of dialing in the timing and suddenly the faster speed seems much easier.

The load is part of learning how to help your body be ready to hit. Maybe the single biggest problem in my rec league is that coaches are constantly harping on their kids to be ready to hit and think strike, but they don't teach them how to be ready and think strike with their body.

BTW the Mendoza clip is terrible instruction IMO.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Here is a video I put together several months ago borrowing lets say a few of FFS clips. At the time I was kind of coil crazy but the video is compelling.

Jun 3, 2009
I think most would agree that good hitters are loading for the majority of what you refer to as a stride. Some would take that further and argue that loading extends beyond that.

You'd agree then that except for the subtle initial movement, loading and striding are inseparable, overlapping motions?

What you call "pre-loading" is an important move IMO. If you go back with the stride you won't be slow and early you will be late and jerky. You may get it working with starting with the hands back but I believe the extra move has benefits for the learning hitter.

You're referring to the subtle initial movement or the stance? I think of the stride as beginning when the front heel is initially lifted. e.g. the batter is picking up their foot to stride. Batters can't pick up their front foot without transferring their weight somewhere else so their weight is being shifted back during their stride. Coiling then is a mechanism that allows the weight to transfer without swaying the hips back (much) or excessively tilting the upper body back towards the catcher. But, in many (most?) of the swings I've reviewed the hands are still going back well into the stride forward.

Here is a video I put together several months ago borrowing lets say a few of FFS clips. At the time I was kind of coil crazy but the video is compelling.

Definitely see and agree that most fastpitch players coil their hips to one degree or another. So, if you teach coiling, is it unnecessary to teach loading as a separate and distinct part of the swing?

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
You'd agree then that except for the subtle initial movement, loading and striding are inseparatable, overlapping motions?

The stride, inclusive of the initial movement that fuels the stride, is largely a loading type action. One should have a feel of a "gathering of energy" during the stride.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Definitely see and agree that most fastpitch players coil their hips to one degree or another. So, if you teach coiling, is it unnecessary to teach loading as a separate and distinct part of the swing?

For the most part I have replaced the term loading with coiling. To me it helps players better understand. I might say - "as you coil your stride is working forward to toe touch while your hands are working back and creating a stretch" or - "as you coil and stride remember you are showing the pitcher your pocket as your hands are staying back and creating a stretch". you might say based on one of your early posts "as you coil your front knee makes a move in towards the plate as your hands are working back"

Oct 25, 2009
For the most part I have replaced the term loading with coiling. To me it helps players better understand. I might say - "as you coil your stride is working forward to toe touch while your hands are working back and creating a stretch" or - "as you coil and stride remember you are showing the pitcher your pocket as your hands are staying back and creating a stretch". you might say based on one of your early posts "as you coil your front knee makes a move in towards the plate as your hands are working back"

I don't believe it can be described any clearer than that.

Nov 29, 2011
Both hitters are loading here the same, one just strides.

Bama.gif

Megan Bush (on the other hand).... she loads:
2la7f2g.gif

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
You'd agree then that except for the subtle initial movement, loading and striding are inseparable, overlapping motions?

You're referring to the subtle initial movement or the stance? I think of the stride as beginning when the front heel is initially lifted. e.g. the batter is picking up their foot to stride. Batters can't pick up their front foot without transferring their weight somewhere else so their weight is being shifted back during their stride. Coiling then is a mechanism that allows the weight to transfer without swaying the hips back (much) or excessively tilting the upper body back towards the catcher. But, in many (most?) of the swings I've reviewed the hands are still going back well into the stride forward.

All I am saying is that in addition to striding and movement of the hands backwards while striding, some good hitters will make other movements earlier, such as lifting the front heel, coiling the hips, and bringing the hands back slowly before stride (likely then continuing to move them while striding).

Watch the coil vid for this and you can see some different styles.

I agree with what you say.

I am also saying that IMO doing all movements as one orchestrated movement, like Bonds, seems to be hard for beginner hitters. That begs your final question which is really the Q of the thread. Let's say you get a 6, 8, or even 10U player who has no separation, no coil, and maybe no stride either. How do you get them going?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g