Deemphasize loading?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
I agree. It could be led by Five Frame Swing and SBFAMILY and Bouldersdad (who would have a direct Skype feed to Howard) who would meet for 48 hours to iron out the few remaining differences they have and then at the conclusion Wellphyt would attempt to channel Ted Williams to discuss use of the hips. I would then produce a DVD to sell. That would be a good clinic.

I suggest they all wear Sumo wrestler costumes for safety's sake.

Feb 3, 2011
I think you made a great point about adjusting your coaching to meet each kids individual needs. If a kid doesn't understand what their body is trying to tell they will struggle to learn. Some kids can catch on and learn very quickly, those that can't have a tendency to get frustrated watching their peers move onto something else. Bottom line is the player and the PARENTS have to put in the work to get better.
Thanks, and I couldn't agree with you more about engaging the parents.

For the players that are young in their softball journeys, parents often play a significant role in player development far beyond just getting them to all their practices and games. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the parents who get their kids there on time, but I think both player and parents will get more out of the overall experience if they're working together at least once per week outside of team practice.

The parents don't need to be technicians. I broke down the essential elements swing (and also the overhand throw) and wrote them in very simple terms for the parents to better enable them to work with their kids at home.

Jun 3, 2009
2s1b0ok.gif

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure I made my point sufficiently clear? My contention is that the concept of loading is way overblown. I would argue that it's not "load then stride", it's just "stride". Loading is just a subtle move that begins the stride. It's part of the stride (for hitters who stride, obviously). There is no question that there is a weight shift back... one wouldn't be able to lift their front foot otherwise. But, you load simply because it enables the stride.

You can pre-load as Kelsey does above. In other words, you can start from loaded position and then stretch and stride to get to toe touch. In fact, I would argue that's one of the most noticeable differences between "typical" softball starting positions and "typical" baseball starting positions. Many softball players start loaded. Then, there's just a subtle amount of additional loading as they stretch and stride.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
2s1b0ok.gif

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure I made my point sufficiently clear? My contention is that the concept of loading is way overblown. I would argue that it's not "load then stride", it's just "stride". Loading is just a subtle move that begins the stride. It's part of the stride (for hitters who stride, obviously). There is no question that there is a weight shift back... one wouldn't be able to lift their front foot otherwise. But, you load simply because it enables the stride.

You can pre-load as Kelsey does above. In other words, you can start from loaded position and then stretch and stride to get to toe touch. In fact, I would argue that's one of the most noticeable differences between "typical" softball starting positions and "typical" baseball starting positions. Many softball players start loaded. Then, there's just a subtle amount of additional loading as they stretch and stride.

I think most would agree that good hitters are loading for the majority of what you refer to as a stride. Some would take that further and argue that loading extends beyond that.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I think there is a lot in what you are saying whatsup.

I can say personally it has been very helpful for me to discuss loading here on discussfastpitch.com. It allows me to look at what is happening with a kids swing in a more complete way. problems in the swing can often be traced back to symptoms and the clips and discussion here really have helped.

Now whether a coach or parent just teaches "cues' which is what you are suggesting or whether I try to explain what is happening with the coil and uncoil is up to the individual teacher. You could very well get the same result either way. I tend to explain because I am the type of coach that likes to ask the question and be ready to answer the question - "why"?

At this point for me it is best to watch and film someone swing. Then make individual suggestions based on what I see and how I see them interpret what I say. Sometimes players interpret the simplest cues in many different ways.

I currently do like often using the term "coil" because it helps me communicate the idea of a spring ready to "uncoil" in a sequence. It helps me explain there in not a linear weight shift over the back side. It helps me explain the idea or rotation. It helps me explain not dropping the hands and arm swinging but "uncoiling". It helps me explain the hips do not sway or slide forward.

Aug 31, 2010
Tallmadge, Ohio
2s1b0ok.gif

I believe from this clip that she is "loading" ! The hands go back as she goes to toe touch and gets into a launch position. The load is very important to get the body in to a position to "stride" and remain balanced along with getting the hands in a good starting position.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
What you call "pre-loading" is an important move IMO. If you go back with the stride you won't be slow and early you will be late and jerky. You may get it working with starting with the hands back but I believe the extra move has benefits for the learning hitter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1