Deemphasize loading?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 3, 2009
After spending a fair amount of time trying to understand the actual movements that occur during a high level swing, I began trying to reconcile the difference between the movements and positions that need to be taught versus those that generally come "for free" if the upstream positions/movements are adequate.

I'm finding that my discussions about and emphasis on loading are greatly diminished. I spend some time getting the girls into a comfortable "ready" position emphasizing grip, feet, knees and starting bat position. From there, I talk about striding to toe touch and suggest that the first part of that movement is simply to sit their right butt cheek (right handed hitter) down an inch or two while lifting their front heel and letting their front knee come in towards the back of the plate... thus showing the pitcher the back of their front pocket.

So, I'm rarely mentioning "loading" at all. I'm teaching loading as a part of the stride. That seems to be very different than many of the instructional materials I have so I'd be interested in hearing from others how prominently "loading" features into what you teach?

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The actual swing itself is a piece of cake. The battle to be won, IMO, is in teaching an effective, well timed, well synchronized, and rhythmic loading sequence that begins early & slow.

Feb 14, 2010
IMO,

FFS is 100% correct. The kids need to learn the feel of coiling and uncoiling first, then they need to produce it in a rhythmic sequence. I was looking through my videos of my DD from where we started, a little over a year ago, to where she is now and I had her watch the beginning video and she couldn't believe how horrible her swing was, I would honestly say it might be the worse swing ever posted here. Her words were " It hurts to watch that, I couldn't swing like that now if I tried". She was honestly embarrassed by it.

IMO her swing now is very good but we are still working everyday to make it better. Once she really got the lower figured out she made a lot of improvements quickly. Once we got past the lower half we really focused on hand usage. Now we are working on smoothing it all out.

I don't want step on any toes but I truly think people over think and analyze the medical jargon too much. I firmly believe the body wants to work in a certain way and if we let it,it will. The swing feels very natural when it's done correctly. The key to it is starting the right way and that's the lower half. I'm no expert, just a dad going on this journey with his DD.

I'm planning on starting a thread with the videos of my DD @ each stage of progression so other dads can see what we went through and are still going through. I'm not joking when I say how ugly my DDs swing was.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
The battle to be won, IMO, is in teaching an effective, well timed, well synchronized, and rhythmic loading sequence that begins early & slow. This is the Holy Grail.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I'm planning on starting a thread with the videos of my DD @ each stage of progression so other dads can see what we went through and are still going through. I'm not joking when I say how ugly my DDs swing was.
This would be great. I really hope you will (no pressure).

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I second that! Also would be great to get everyone together in one location to have a hitting clinic.Wink wink...can use my garage in Pa.Not far from Portland, OR.I think, I was always bad at geography.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Also would be great to get everyone together in one location to have a hitting clinic.
I agree. It could be led by Five Frame Swing and SBFAMILY and Bouldersdad (who would have a direct Skype feed to Howard) who would meet for 48 hours to iron out the few remaining differences they have and then at the conclusion Wellphyt would attempt to channel Ted Williams to discuss use of the hips. I would then produce a DVD to sell. That would be a good clinic.

Feb 3, 2011
Players have a number of fears when they walk out onto the field, so it's my job to find ways to help the players work through them.

For the less experienced hitters, the load is de-emphasized as we are trying to teach them the basic mechanics of a swing.

As they begin to come along a little, they're learning "load...explode!" as we don't want any timid swings, ever. With rare exception, there are no decent, load-less swings.

Feb 14, 2010
Momo,

I think you made a great point about adjusting your coaching to meet each kids individual needs. If a kid doesn't understand what their body is trying to tell they will struggle to learn. Some kids can catch on and learn very quickly, those that can't have a tendency to get frustrated watching their peers move onto something else. Bottom line is the player and the PARENTS have to put in the work to get better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi