DD throwing tennis ball 4 mph faster

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I've gunned cars and that seems accurate, but they are big and they are not changing speeds as quickly as a ball. I would have never thought anything of it, but I ran across a youtube comparison of the Bushnell to the Stalker that showed it read consistently slower so I started researching and found a whole bunch of complaints about it picking up the ball close to the plate and not out of hand. Now the comparison was from the Stalker corporation so I can trust that, and the complaints were from pitchers mostly and we all know trusting them on their speed is like trusting a fisherman on the size of his catch. So I was hoping someone out there had run some test with the high end guns and had some definitive results. I did have dds gun me pitching overhand and it said I threw in the 50s. Now I am not what I used to be, but I am pretty sure I can still throw 60 at least. I am going to do a test where I film the ball and then I can calculate how many frames it takes to get to home plate, that should give me a good cross check.

Jul 17, 2012
I've gunned cars and that seems accurate, but they are big and they are not changing speeds as quickly as a ball. I would have never thought anything of it, but I ran across a youtube comparison of the Bushnell to the Stalker that showed it read consistently slower so I started researching and found a whole bunch of complaints about it picking up the ball close to the plate and not out of hand. Now the comparison was from the Stalker corporation so I can trust that, and the complaints were from pitchers mostly and we all know trusting them on their speed is like trusting a fisherman on the size of his catch. So I was hoping someone out there had run some test with the high end guns and had some definitive results. I did have dds gun me pitching overhand and it said I threw in the 50s. Now I am not what I used to be, but I am pretty sure I can still throw 60 at least. I am going to do a test where I film the ball and then I can calculate how many frames it takes to get to home plate, that should give me a good cross check.
Just remember the "Math" speed is the average. If the gun is higher, its probably picking up at the top speed. If it's lower, it may be picking up closer to the glove.

Joe

Oct 20, 2009
Have the bushnell III radar gun. Had a couple of students that registered 4 mph faster at a NFCA recrutiing camp.
I have no explaination.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet