Dd swing with new hitting coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I was hoping the improvement in weight shift would have embedded an improvement in the swing sequence .... but it is an improvement none-the-less. Keep progressing.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
This is only an hour into new coach but is she getting weight shifted a little better thanks.
Coach's Eye

Yes she is.

There are a couple of glaring issues for me that are easy to fix since they aren't part of motion.

First her knuckles of her bottom hand are not only over rotated, they are wrapped over the knob onto the far side of the handle making her wrist very straight. The door knocking knuckles of her bottom hand should hold the handle between the 2nd and 3rd set of knuckles on the top hand. If your daughter grabs the bat, rests it on her shoulder, and you tell her to open her index fingers, they should extend almost parallel to each other. If not, rotate the wrists until they are.

The other thing is getting the bat handle and her hands out of her ear. After adjusting her hands, make sure the elbows form the V but get the V back near her shoulder and away from her head. This position really robs her of power and bat speed.

But, she is looking better. There is more, but that is enough to say for now.

Oct 25, 2009
Yes she is.

There are a couple of glaring issues for me that are easy to fix since they aren't part of motion.

First her knuckles of her bottom hand are not only over rotated, they are wrapped over the knob onto the far side of the handle making her wrist very straight. The door knocking knuckles of her bottom hand should hold the handle between the 2nd and 3rd set of knuckles on the top hand. If your daughter grabs the bat, rests it on her shoulder, and you tell her to open her index fingers, they should extend almost parallel to each other. If not, rotate the wrists until they are.

The other thing is getting the bat handle and her hands out of her ear. After adjusting her hands, make sure the elbows form the V but get the V back near her shoulder and away from her head. This position really robs her of power and bat speed.

But, she is looking better. There is more, but that is enough to say for now.

The "bat in the ear" bothered me, too, but notice that she gets it back during separation. It would be bad if she started it forward from the ear.

Jan 2, 2012
Well at least it's better. Thats some home work to relax back arm a little and back a little thanks for help.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
The "bat in the ear" bothered me, too, but notice that she gets it back during separation. It would be bad if she started it forward from the ear.

Yes you are right. But what bothers me is that when the hands are that close to the shoulder, it makes it hard to get inside the ball on inside pitches, and robs power. If she moved her hands out to make the V and also have a V in her elbows it would eliminate this hole in her swing. I think this factor is doubled-down when her wrists are so inflexible. But that is enough because two things is enough to work on.

May 13, 2008
This is only an hour into new coach but is she getting weight shifted a little better thanks.
Coach's Eye

I like the changes, looks like you made a good move so far. It looks like the coach is starting with her base, which is the place to start. We call it working from the ground, up. Already I can see that the trajectory of the ball is a rising line drive, which is another positive. Since you already have a coach, I'm not going to suggest next steps here, but I just wanted to give you positive feedback. Good luck, and keep posting the results!

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Tap the back of your helmet with your bat where the pony tails comes out and this sets your hands and bat angle position so the bat is slightly behind your head. Steve would this be what you are asking her to do. We use to call it the slot position in baseball. Otherwise I agree with rest of you good improvements.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom