Dd pitching video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 27, 2012
Slow mo of DD pitching. It will be great if someone can take a look at it and tell the areas we need to work on. I really don't like her follow thru and the back swing. If her follow thru is bad how can I correct it? Thanks for the help.

[video]http://youtube.com/watch?v=PL_GtkLjONw[/video]

May 7, 2008
Tucson
In my opinion, she isn't bad. What I would like to do is take her shoulders and turn them parallel to the power line. She starts to cheat them, towards the catcher and finishes with them towards the catcher. I don't like the kick at the end. Just keep the right foot down and drag it up the line.

I think that she doesn't know what to do at the end, after release of the ball. Just relax the right shoulder and let the arm fly where ever it will go. I use the term "release and relax."

This young lady is probably an easy fix.

Nov 27, 2012
So what you mean is she should get more in K position so that only one shoulder, one hip and one leg is seen by the catcher? She is working hard to do that. Is there any tip to do that? Like turning the pivot foot more.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I can't tell how old she is, but I start talking about the word "plane" as it is used in math and physics. If she was pitching inside a wall and facing a wall, with a wall to her back, she has to keep her shoulders straight. You are explaining it correctly.

Have her stand and face a wall or fence. She should be really close, like 8 inches from it. Have her pitch from there. She puts her hands together facing the catcher and just pick the ball up, out of the glove and pitch. (No pre-motion.) Yes, Power K's are good, too.

Nov 27, 2012
She just turned 10 so she don't understand the mechanics yet. Thanks for the tip, we'll try that Tom and post the video. She did have bad problem of swimming her glove hand and she worked hard this winter to get rid of that.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
10? OK, I can see in her face that she is young.

Do you know much about her grip? I can't tell if it is correct or not. Is she using an 11 inch ball or a 12 inch?

Please get rid of the thigh slaps with her glove. That isn't helping her. I think that she is imitating someone, rather than pitching how she has been taught. She has to be herself.

Nov 27, 2012
11 inch balls and 35 ft distance. She uses 4 seam grip. So you think she don't have to worry much abt her follow thru, just relax and let her hand take it?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
She has a big long arm circle, I do not think her arm accelerates at all. From when the arm gets slightly behind the head until slightly after the ball is released the arm should be accelerating. After the ball is released the arm just is decelerating so nothing gets hurt in the arm. There is really no reason to bring it all the way over her head again.

Pick what you are going to work on or nothing will be accomplished. IMO I would work on the lower body first with some of the suggestions above then see what the arm circle looks like.

May 25, 2008
Pickerington Ohio
I think Amy is correct about the finish, your DD looks like she is borderline on finishing with a hello elbow. Have her finish across her body, more toward the left shoulder. If she gets to 9 o'clock on the backside in the palm up/ thumb on top of the ball position then finishes through her release to the palm down at 3 o'clock position, she will naturally finish across her body toward the left side. The other thing I would comment on is her stride doesn't seem to be much more than a big step right now, have her get a bit more positive lean at her pre motion position, explode out then get negative lean as she gets to toe touch. Think pole vaulter. Pitch using her momentum against that front side.

Nov 27, 2012
Thanks for the tips. After anaysing her pitch (I am not an expert), I found couple of things that may make her not get in complete K position (showing only one shoulder and hip to the catcher).

1. Her stride foot is landing more towards the glove hand side rather than on the power line.
2. She is not really pivoting her pivot leg to make both her knees facing towards the 3rd base line. My question is, should she make her pivot leg knee face the 3rd base line or should it be facing the catcher and drive towards the catcher? Should I even be worried about the back leg pivoting?

@go4psb She was trained to do the hello elbow and her PC coach wants her to do it. When I brough up the IR method of finish she said why should we fix something that isnt broken. I don't know any coach here that teaches IR method. In IR method, if I understand correctly the following steps happens at the power position:

1. The ball is facing the 3rd base
2. As the hand comes down with elbow leading and the ball goes from facing the 3rd base line to facing the ground with the fingers behind the ball and the thumb in front of the ball. This also where the release happens so the ball have a 6-12 spin (like drop ball). Also at the release the upper arm stops and the forearm whips the ball.
3. Followthrough across the body with the back of the hand facing the catcher.

Do I have this right or am I missing something?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30