DD pitching video progression

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 8, 2014
Here is a few pitches of dd slowed down. While her speed hasn't picked up, her accuracy has improved. She is at a point of pitching consistently in the upper 50's. Her change up, and drop ball has been working really well for her(She don't have any other pitch besides a slider and she has been struggling with that pitch). While it is good progress, DD was wondering what are the things she can work on to gain a couple miles per hour or should she focus on something else? Since so many members have gave some input that helped her progress, I figured the forum will be a perfect place to ask for input again.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Zj3rRsxWD8E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
That's a good question! My dd is working on getting her speed up as well. Coaches don't care about accuracy if you don't have the speed! Anyway it looks like she could have a firmer front side to throw against that should give her someone speed right away, and for me, a more bent arm gives me more mpr, making sure to lead with elbow. And drive always working towards a better drive! ☺️

Oct 8, 2014
So she's not throwing her curve and screwball still?

Her curve and screwball is thrown with use of pressure point. So I was informed that it is more of a slider(left and right) than an actual curve and screwball. She hasn't been throwing them much here lately in rec ball due to the sharp break they were taking, resulting in more balls than strikes. Right now, not many people were swinging at those pitches. She still practice those pitches but not used in games. During school ball, she had more success with those pitches than she is now.

Oct 8, 2014
That's a good question! My dd is working on getting her speed up as well. Coaches don't care about accuracy if you don't have the speed! Anyway it looks like she could have a firmer front side to throw against that should give her someone speed right away, and for me, a more bent arm gives me more mpr, making sure to lead with elbow. And drive always working towards a better drive! ☺️

I think it depends on the coaches on what they prefer. My daughter is been told speed was important by one coach...another coach told her to just get it over the plate and let the defense work for her. It seems confusing for someone who is trying to figure what is the most important thing to work on.
Good observation on the front side, she has worked a lot to improve this(she used to have no front side resistance)....we are working to help build her core with exercises (planks..etc)which will help with this.
The arm is something that I try to avoid, it just results in arguing with my husband about "hello elbow"(he thinks it will help her pitch faster). DD is watching the college players pitch and she is doing a good job on picking up things they are doing without any undo stress from the hubby.
Thanks for the input :)

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
This does not look like upper 50's to me which is actually very fast for most school pitchers. Is that 55-57 or 57-59?

Looking at the motion strength is not the issue preventing front side resistance. (core exercises, planks etc). It won't help because it is a mechanical issue. She lands and is already weighted over the front side instead of being centered. Once she lands she continues to rotate her shoulders towards the target creating more of a bowl or push as opposed to a pull down.

Compare to the two pitchers in post #141 here http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/18135-drive-mechanics-15.html

Oct 8, 2014
54-56 is what she has pitched. When she went to the packaged deal, she was told that if she get her lower body working more effective, she is going to be really fast. I already know she is all arms and some lower body.

What are your suggestions to help fix this? I have already went over the front side resistance post on DFP and still haven't been able to translate it a manner to help her...all it did was add to her confusion. Which means, I am not doing a very good job on explaining in a manner that makes sense to her.

Edy

May 24, 2010
Crystol,

Your DD is bowling (and that's a bad thing)

Look at these two elite pitchers

e13jwm.gif
lw1_zpsf5xsgnes.gif

You see how they brush their elbow/lower arm into the rib cage/thigh? This action decelerates the upper arm and allow the lower arm to accelerate and "launch" the ball

Compare theses examples with your DD's style and you'll notice her entire arm is locked (should have a little bent) with a bowling motion.
Brushing interference is a major contributor for high speeds. Without brushing and internal rotation she'll never achieve her full potential in terms of speed

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad