DD Getting Frustrated with Speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 7, 2014
Man just trying to read all of this information is tuff.

Java in your drive sticky you answered one of my problems. Thank you again and it might very well be the cause of the minor issue in her arm circle.

she was taught differently then your "Drive angle" suggest and sorry to admit it I am the one that taught it to her :( but any how back to the point She was also taught "Wrongly" I am assuming to throw outside to let her stride foot land slightly to the left of the power line "from her point of view" ok now this is why it is probably important EVERYTIME she hits a speed above 47 it is on an outside Pitch that was called

:( I have a lot to read

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2014
Hmmm I just keep having the obvious that I am Blind to pointed out to me and thank you very much :)

tell me if this arm action and posture is better Please :)

maegan55 - YouTube

she is now dropping her arm into a more natural slot due to her posture which I just was not paying attention to as being a problem :(

uhg

Thanks Java "drive angle"

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
dmaegan,

As drc and BM pointed out, her arm is still heading behind her on the backchain. If you were to take this very throw and have her standing with her back to the wall (against it)... her arm would hit the wall. Does that make sense? As BM noted, have her backchain so that the ball can always see the target... meaning if you are catching for her... you can always see the ball (it doesn't get wrapped behind her back).

Also, have her turn her rear foot slightly inward from 90 degrees... not 45... but somewhere in between. Make sense?

Lastly... where might that lock-it-in video be? ;)

I'd hold off on the other stuff for now... good to read... but let's take this one step at a time. Best, ~JS

Nov 7, 2014
yes I have seen her arm go behind her and I tell her when she does it and try to get her to bring her arm up a little more outside but she still does it once in a while she is aware of it and working on it. I have the lock-it-in video just have not cut it down yet.

it will be coming

thank you

Nov 7, 2014
OILF yes she is 15 but started pitching a few weeks before she turned 14. She just turned 15 October 27 of this year. So yes she is older But no she did not start when she was 10 or 11. Now me telling her she can not use her legs would be like me telling her she can not walk. now in most of these videos I am 15 feet from her catching her. I do not get back from work till after dark so very rarely get her outside except for weekends. and there is only 1 pitching coach in my area that teaches IR instead of HE and he is booked for the next year. Every softball pitcher in about 5 surrounding county's go to him. He very rarely can get anyone in. She is not using her legs to much in these little videos to prevent knocking my head off at 15 feet. She is toning them down a bit

Thanks

Nov 7, 2014
nah I do not use IR as a term I visit all prospective coaches so I can see what they teach. I am not a pitching coach by any stretch of the imagination but I do know most of the coaches personally. I am a Hitting instructor, and fielding instructor and have coached for the last 9 years in my area But pitching is not my Area not even close. Now if you wanted a good swing I can give you that and if you wanted to learn fielding form I can give you that From backhands to forehands to approach on the ball to proper footwork to all out blocking it or the base play itself, If you need work staying connected with your swing , staying short to the ball learning the importance of heel strike or even proper attack posture while hitting I can also give you that but pitching other then I know what I am looking for in an instructor I my self do not understand a lot of the aspects of it.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Respectfully, telling them to back off in anyway (such as not using legs as in the two videos I saw inside) is not a useful exercise and that is where problems stem from (with the velocity issue you are describing). Have you checked the many boards where PCs are listed? You can also use softees, which feel just like softballs.

I don't live in any kind of softball mecca and I have at least 4 instructors near me. There are former pitchers graduating like crazy right now. You may not hear about them without some digging, as softball is an "old" boys network, where old style instructors get all the referrals. If you use IR as a term you may also be missing out on good instructors as they don't use that term, but they teach the right stuff.

Sites like this one:

Fastpitch Softball Pitching Instructors - academies - schools - lessons

You can also search franchise softball facilities, like Frozen Ropes, etc.

Lastly you can see where Hillhouse or other traveling instructors are.

This is a classic OLIF post.

"There are former pitchers graduating like crazy right now." More now than in the past? One would expect that the number of graduating "former pitchers" would remain fairly consistent year after year. I can only speculate that a couple she knew of made it through college and she came to this conclusion much the same way people once thought flies caused garbage.

"...softball is an "old" boys network.." Yet another sexist statement from the founding member of the I Hate Male Coaches Club.

Finally the only requirement for inclusion on the list of PC's she provided is to email them and ask to be included. Do not even need to fog a mirror as I know for a fact that at least 2 of the listed instructors are deceased and have been for some time. If you want to waste a bunch of time that list will get you on your way.

Finally I would point out that Javasource has a sticky thread on DFP. There is a reason for that. He knows his stuff and is well respected. Heed his advice.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2014
My state on that list I know 4 of them personally one of them teaches IR and is also a college coach as well as played for the "king and his court" for years however quite a long way for me to get to and he like I said a college coach so he also has very little time. Although if I could I would take her to him

:)

Nov 7, 2014
Hmmm I do live about 5 hours from one of the PC's that frequents this site he is in a border state ...

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC