DD Getting Frustrated with Speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 7, 2014
Here is a little repetition drill I use with her a lot in slow motion . The third rep is when she releases tell me java if you notice the difference between the first 2 reps and does it look to you like she is holding the bend in her arm ??

maegan45 - YouTube

Sep 30, 2013
I have a 15 year old dd which is struggling. She is discouraged with her speed . …

dmaeganx2, when you say “struggling”, does that mean she’s getting pounded when she pitches or just can’t get outs consistently?

When you say “discouraged with her speed”, does that mean she feels she won’t be able to pitch because she doesn’t throw hard enough, she feels her work isn’t providing sufficient results, or is it something else?

The reason I ask is, at that age I find it unusual that a pitcher keeps getting the ball if they aren’t doing something right. If its her coaches telling her she has to gain velocity, that could be a problem if she doesn't. If its you telling her that, I sure hope you're doing it in a constructive way. If its just her worrying, she needs to talk to whoever it is she's worried about thinking that way, and get some direction.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
I think she looks like she's doing BM's bat drill.... and that drill is a phenomenal drill.

As far as the bend - I hope you don't think she needs to work it all out. She looks good. Keep up the good work. Would love to see her throw from lock-it-in... as her ability to do that correctly is paramount. Tell her she has a bunch of fans at DFP!

Nov 7, 2014
scorekeeper She plays for a travel team that only has 1 pitcher which is her, Maybe I should have worded it differently she Just is frustrated because she doesn't think she can throw harder. I am trying to help figure out why she isn't. or if she can. but she has an 80 percent strike ratio but she leaves some fat and they get hammered. she is Just frustrated not really saying she is frustrated and wants to give it up, she is more frustrated because she is a perfectionist in every sense of the word. she plays on a 16u travel team and she has a change up and a drop. she is not as consistent with them so her coach just tends to call the fastball and well we all know where sending nothing but fastballs to a HS travel team will get you. :(

Nov 7, 2014
I know some of the bend needs to be there but I am not sure she is releasing it enough her hand just seems to be under the ball.

the next vid I post will be the lock-it-in but beware that is the drill she struggles with badly

Thanks

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Here is a little repetition drill I use with her a lot in slow motion . The third rep is when she releases tell me java if you notice the difference between the first 2 reps and does it look to you like she is holding the bend in her arm ??

maegan45 - YouTube

Have you tried it with a heavy ball? Sometimes the extra mass/momentum helps with the whip. Like other drills I sometimes have students do this one blindfolded.

Nov 7, 2014
no I have not tried weighted balls I am not sure I am ready to try it with her extra small stature but I am going to pick one up this weekend I want to get some of the lighter ones also.

thanks

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
no I have not tried weighted balls I am not sure I am ready to try it with her extra small stature but I am going to pick one up this weekend I want to get some of the lighter ones also.

thanks

You don't need to throw it hard. In fact I rarely use weighted balls but I have them around just in case. The extra mass helps keep the pitcher from steering the ball and can sometimes result in a more natural, less forced motion.

Jul 14, 2008
I was going to post my thoughts to help this young lady until I saw this post from my alter ego..... This was exactly what I was going to say about helping DD increase velocity. I don't see much else wrong for a small framed young lady......

So instead........I'll tell you a quick story, which was the 2nd thing that came to mind about helping her........

I had a 12yo pitcher back in '95. She was thin and wirey. Didn't throw terribly hard at 12yo. But she was tenacious as hell.......She was STUCK in B ball until she turned 14.

One morning she woke up and BAM........All the hard work/frustration began paying off in spades.

She was pulled up to A ball very soon after her 14th B-day. At 15, she was pitching for my 18U Gold Team and mowing people down. At 16, she threw a no hitter against a very good, albeit short lived L.A. Gold team, who at the time was sponsored by a famous taco joint. The team name was "The So Cal Bells"........

The Texas Tech coach was in the stands waiting to watch the So. Cal. A's play the Panthers after our game........

Needless to say, after we were out of the tourney, that same young lady who was stuck in B ball until she was 14yo left the complex with a full ride offer from Texas Tech.........Which she promptly accepted.........

Again......This is a kid who was stuck in B ball until she was 14........

Moral of the story.........Just keep working, and don't try to guess the end of the book when you're still reading the first chapter.......

Best Regards........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse