DD Getting Frustrated with Speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 12, 2009
Java/BM...my question is...is her hand/ball going too far behind her head on the back swing? This is where my hand wants to naturally go when I perform the drill but I've actually been having my daughter work on trying to get the ball to a position that is just slightly in front of her shoulder towards 3rd base.

Jul 14, 2008
Java/BM...my question is...is her hand/ball going too far behind her head on the back swing? This is where my hand wants to naturally go when I perform the drill but I've actually been having my daughter work on trying to get the ball to a position that is just slightly in front of her shoulder towards 3rd base.

I had to go back and find her doing the drill as I missed that post. The answer is yes. Too much "around" on the backswing. You've obviously been paying attention. The ball can't "see the target" from the position she loads it back to, so it has to come around to get on the target line. Keep the ball just outside the shoulder back and through. Every bit of left and right detracts from straight......

Good catch my friend....

Sep 30, 2013
scorekeeper She plays for a travel team that only has 1 pitcher which is her, Maybe I should have worded it differently she Just is frustrated because she doesn't think she can throw harder. I am trying to help figure out why she isn't. or if she can. but she has an 80 percent strike ratio but she leaves some fat and they get hammered. she is Just frustrated not really saying she is frustrated and wants to give it up, she is more frustrated because she is a perfectionist in every sense of the word. she plays on a 16u travel team and she has a change up and a drop. she is not as consistent with them so her coach just tends to call the fastball and well we all know where sending nothing but fastballs to a HS travel team will get you. :(

Well, now she sounds like almost every pitcher I’ve ever heard of. ;)

I’m not a SB guy, but 80% strikeout ratio sure seems to me to be outstanding. I know of no BB pitcher who comes close to striking out 80% of the batters he faces.

As for leaving pitches where they can get pounded, I assure you that it’s happened to the very best because no one can throw every pitch perfectly. And even if they could, the funny thing about batters is, they’ll sometimes hit perfect pitches and pitches that aren’t even close to being strikes.

If she has a change and a drop that are inconsistent, she’s not the one who has the problem, it’s her jerk coach who won’t call them so she can get consistent. Its dang tough to improve on something when never given the chance. Just another reason I hate signs coming from the bench. :(

All in all she sure sounds like a "normal" pitcher to me. Many times when I talk about players maturing, I mention both physically and mentally. Sounds to me as though she's got a ways to go with both, but I wouldn't give it a second's worry. Just give her a lot of support and let her grow up. Its tough, but I think we've all been there with our kids at one time or another, and they always seem to get through it.

Good luck!

Mar 12, 2009
If she had an 80% strikeout ratio she wouldn't be worried about anything:) but she has an 80% strike ratio...still very good! Although, sometimes having a strike ratio that high is actually detrimental!

Sep 30, 2013
If she had an 80% strikeout ratio she wouldn't be worried about anything:) but she has an 80% strike ratio...still very good! Although, sometimes having a strike ratio that high is actually detrimental!

Sorry, I misunderstood. My bad.

Yes, an 80% strike ratio is fantastic. I can only compare it to BB where I’ve never heard of a pitcher even going over 70% for more than a couple of innings. Are there a lot of SB pitchers who rack up that kind of strike percentage?

Yes, sometimes throwing too many strikes can be a problem, but only if the ball doesn’t move, is thrown at roughly the same velocity, and is thrown in pretty much the same location.

Have you ever looked to see how her strike percentage and performance coincided? I grabbed one of my metrics just to give you some idea. As you can see, the results are all over the place, but I can tell you this, our coach wouldn’t give pitchers a lot of leeway. A lower strike percentage along with a lower ERA or TRA usually means a harder thrower. The last 7 guys on that list were all hard throwers(84+). Of the top 10, only 1 could cruise over 82.

View attachment ppctemp.pdf

Nov 7, 2014
well she usually pitches every tournament game unless they get a guest but in a typical tournament say 5 games average she walks about 4 batters strikes out 3 and the ball put in play the rest quite a few of them very hard hit. some of them might be still rolling somewhere. So maybe that is more of an endicative on why she is frustrate
uhg I can not type :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremy523