DD Getting Frustrated with Speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
Unbelievable... Bizarre... How can someone be so blind to the obvious? Have you never, ever, taken even a minute to consider that coaching is about learning, growing, studying, testing, trying, listening, asking, trying some more, being open minded, or realizing that everything someone once told you might not be correct?

I know this is an old thread but when I read what you wrote ken B. I couldn't stop thinking HalleFreakinLujah hallelujah!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I've learned some good stuff after reading a few FLOI posts. While trying understand her perspective, some some realizations clicked and have helped me simplify my approach and my info handouts. For that I'm thankful. I wish her well, hope she evolves and can pass on new knowledge to the kids she works with.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2012
I've learned some good stuff after reading a few FLOI posts. While trying understand her perspective, some some realizations clicked and have helped me simplify my approach and my info handouts. For that I'm thankful. I wish her well, hope she evolves and can pass on new knowledge to the kids she works with.

What happened to her? Did I miss something?

Nov 25, 2012
USA
JAVA, Coach Pauly, et al - sorry to comment or ask a question almost a year after the initial post ( I am slow and my DD can attest) but something just jumped out at me. You mention above that "too many people try and keep the palm up after 9 and drive the elbow in to the side as a result." A couple of years ago my daughter and I spent a ton of time on the I/R drills taught on this site by many. I think it was BM (sorry if I am wrong it has been awhile) that had the palm to sky drill which I used a ton and still do. What I have noticed is that sometimes the palm up stays to the sky too long (past 9) and the elbow starts to come into the body with more arm bend than I think we want.

On the Balswick video earlier in the thread (thanks for sharing) he mentions that at twelve o'clock the ball faces forward (got that) but soon after and certainly by 9:00 it is facing 3rd (pinky leading it appears soon after 3rd) so never really palm up to sky. Looking at Coach Pauly's video of his daughter ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBP19qvFdK0) it doesn't look like she ever has palm to sky.

So now I am wondering if we should ever really have the palm up to the sky or if just keeping it facing 3rd (lead with the pinky) all the way to release would be better. I think Coach Pauly has called it "slicing".

So the question is....... Palm up until 9 or begin to rotate after 12 to 3rd and lead with the pinky. Maybe I am looking too much into this but I do see the palm up to sky in some videos and sometimes I see the pinky leading from around 11 or so down until release. Maybe either way if fine and just a preference.....

Any thoughts on this would be very much appreciated!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC