DD Getting Frustrated with Speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 7, 2014
Ok I with the help of you nice people on this site through learning what to look at in the videos and where to look have learned these several things.

Even though she is throwing with internal rotation, My DD is through the combination of "1-closing her shoulders prematurely, 2- sliding her torso forward to much, and 3-Pulling her pivot foot to her left very heavily which pulls her hip out of position for Brush Interference" she is losing the benefit of the whip that comes from the IR in the first Place.

as evidenced by this picture I am uploading you can see her Arm is still off her side about 4 inches at about 7 o'clock. Yes she is leading pinky at that point But her upper arm never stabilizes Until after the pitch is gone or at the same time.

That does tell me one thing She has enough pure arm speed to throw the ball at times 48-49 mph but she is doing it at best with either no whip or a late whip at best "Meaning at upper arm contact her hand is already to the catcher getting ready to release by the time her upper arm stabilizes"

So I guess my Plan of Attack is to fix her above mentioned "Posture problems First" While Slightly Retraining her arm With her doing the 9 o'clock drill with the ball up Because that does help her rotating her arm to early and My DD is lucky enough to be able to keep palm up all the way to 7 O'clock which hurts me but she is quite flexible.

By the way the shutter speed of my camera does not like fluorescent lights so the picture has quite some noise in it.

Thank you

Attachments

• maeg.jpg
    maeg.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 247
Nov 7, 2014
This is my DD doing the 9 o'clock As you can see she has ball up and has high flexion in her arm.

when she starts with ball up she is like this everytime at 9 o'clock Does this look more correct and somehow have to get it into her actual pitching motion which is very different .

maeg living - YouTube

Thank you

Mar 12, 2009
dmaeganx2...you are picking up on the information very well...good job! If your DD is willing to read this information and watch some of the videos then I feel this would help her tremendously. You can tell by the last clip you posted she understands the whipping action very well.

Mar 12, 2009
There is no reason to brush your hip. That went out decades ago with the slam the door method. Do you brush your ear when you through overhand? It is simply a trick for consistency, makes the bucket parent happy quick, and has nothing to do with FB speed. There is no reason to injure yourself for pitching. How much motivation does a pitcher have if she is in pain?

It's obvious OILF gets most of her information from Bill Hillhouse's site and his videos and Bill does not stress IR or brushing the hip. He also recommends having the ball facing 3rd at 12 O'clock although he says he doesn't have a problem with it facing the catcher at 12. I would bet if some clips of him were posted then you would see him brushing his hip and throwing with IR. Heck...I bet he would even have the ball facing the catcher at 12. I know it's just a logo but if you look at his logo...the ball is facing the catcher at 12...lol!

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2012
This is my DD doing the 9 o'clock As you can see she has ball up and has high flexion in her arm.

when she starts with ball up she is like this everytime at 9 o'clock Does this look more correct and somehow have to get it into her actual pitching motion which is very different .

maeg living - YouTube

Thank you

dmaegan, take it from someone that has been down this road of hitting the hip with the elbow, do not overemphasize a bent arm with ball up at 9:00. I did the same thing with my DD and she ended up with an extended break from pitching due to it. The Balswick videos teach whip without focusing on a significant degree of bend or ball up, so this would be a good resource. BM's stuff is great as well in the stickys above. Just don't place too much emphasis on these two things.

Jul 4, 2012
OILF, easy on that thanks button, I didn't say don't teach brush interference just for the record. Driving the elbow into your side and brush are two totally different things.

Nov 7, 2014
SoGASoftball My concerns are not her driving the eblow into her side my concerns are her rotating her upper arm before 9 o'clock which puts her in the position to push the ball from behind it and she loses the lag in her elbow to hand at brush her hand is in front of her elbow which diminishes the whip greatly and makes the spin very inconsistent.

Thanks

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
dmaeganx2, Well, seems she's fighting muscle/motion memory. If she's been use to pushing, it'll take some time to change that action. Just stick with the assignment Javasource has given you. It will slowly but surely change her release

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2014
Yea I know, I am wondering if she is internally rotating her wrist early, or not having it externally rotated long enough we will figure it out.

thank you

Apr 14, 2014
Kansas City
She looks to be throwing faster than 46-47. I have a couple of girls that I do lessons with that are 12U, they are hitting around 50 consistently, one can max out at 53.

The biggest problem I've seen my pitchers when they aren't throwing at their top speeds is the lack of legs drive and push. It looks like from your video that she may be able to pick up a couple of MPH if she focuses on leg strength and then work mechanics in the lower half.

I love the video posted her with Amanda Scarborough. It is one that I show my students as a frame of reference, because I also teach the IR method.

Hope this helps! Stick with it and tell her to keep working hard. You never know when a growth spurt will occur to help out either!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad