DD Getting frozen out of High School ball. Any options during that time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Maybe just spend the money and effort on individual instruction. It's not likely a player will get better playing a HS season anyway.

Go where they measure improvement with radar - pitch speed and hitting exit velo. Plus, muscle/mass won't hurt.
How would you know this? We practice or play 6 times a week. We play a 34 game schedule before the playoffs against the best teams in our area and state. Our coaching staff is comprised of former D-I and D-II players who are also outstanding coaches. I'd say that there are some HS programs where a player might not improve but to make a blanket statement isn't accurate.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I don't know anyone who was particularly happy with HS ball. Talking about several different districts. It's something people just seem to get through. It's hard to say what your alternatives are as things are different in different places. It's not that long...have her take a break if she doesn't want to deal with the coach.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
How would you know this? We practice or play 6 times a week.

CB, I was not overly clear here. I'm really talking about the OP taking advantage of his situation and getting individual instruction for hitting/pitching velo. Team coaches usually do not provide individual instruction as a normal course. Playing games and practices for a season won't generally make a hitter have higher max exit velo, or a pitcher have higher max speed. Both could possibly be slower at the end. My son's pitching velo was always slower after the season ended.

I edited my post to make it more clear. Thanks.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2018
My DD just graduated. Her high school career looked like this:

Freshman year she played JV at a private school and did great, had fun and was a leader on the team with a promising future in the program.

Sophomore year moved to public school. Coach was very much a “starting 9 and no one else” coach. Nobody budged off that roster. Never understood this because you had kids that clearly didn’t really care and were there for social hour. Some didn’t even play softball outside of school ball. Not even rec. My DD was nervous with this coach because she knew, being the new kid, she only had a small window of time to impress her before she was regulated to the bench for the season. And that’s what happened. Benched the whole season. Never given a real shot to crack the line up. Not like they were a softball powerhouse. They weren’t. Didn’t even make playoffs

Jr Year, she really didn’t want to play and actually missed the first day of tryouts. Coach saw her the next day at school and asked her if she was coming out. I think DD kinda mumbled “I’ll be there next week”. The team lost a few players and DD thought maybe she would have a heart to heart with her. This was on a Friday. March 13. Then Covid hit and locked everything down. If it didn’t work out she was planning on playing in a local rec league that had an 18u division. She was also planning on keeping up her weight lifting too. . But, as you know, it ended up everyone missed that year anyway.

Sr year. Thank God they got a new coach. I was hearing rumors and it happened. She ended up having a great year. Had fun. Thankfully. I would suggest check the local rec leagues if HS ball is out of the question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 10, 2021
I just don't understand all these political high school softball coaches. Isn't the point to win? I don't agree with every decision my dds high school coach makes but there's no doubt his goal is to win. There are definitely disgruntled JV parents out there that think they're kid should be on varsity but it's mostly rose colored glasses and smooth travel coaches blowing smoke up their a** convincing them their kids are better than they are because they bat 500 in low level travel ball or they're batting 500 against JV pitching while a varsity player is hitting 350. Are there really that many coaches out there that don't put the best players out there to try to win.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
There are still coaches out there who play seniors and keep more talented kids at junior varsity. Not many are left. It is about MORE than winning to these coaches. Old school rewarding system players. Not saying it is right or wrong. There are other things to teach besides winning.

Jun 8, 2016
There are still coaches out there who play seniors and keep more talented kids at junior varsity. Not many are left. It is about MORE than winning to these coaches. Old school rewarding system players. Not saying it is right or wrong. There are other things to teach besides winning.
If it was about winning wouldn't you play your best players...? I am confused.

May 10, 2021
There are coaches who will not cut athletes that have ran halls, lifted weights and practiced for 3-4 years in lieu of the newest hot shot 9th or 10th grader. I know it is old fashioned today but there are coaches who value hard work and loyalty over winning right now. Many kids will leave and find another place to go.

These are the coaches that drive TB parents nuts. It is really a foreign concept to the travel ball world.

Jun 8, 2016
There are coaches who will not cut athletes that have ran halls, lifted weights and practiced for 3-4 years in lieu of the newest hot shot 9th or 10th grader. I know it is old fashioned today but there are coaches who value hard work and loyalty over winning right now. Many kids will leave and find another place to go.

These are the coaches that drive TB parents nuts. It is really a foreign concept to the travel ball world.
I read your original statement the wrong way, e.g. I read the "it is about MORE than winning" as "it is MORE about winning" :LOL:

May 27, 2013
I just don't understand all these political high school softball coaches. Isn't the point to win? I don't agree with every decision my dds high school coach makes but there's no doubt his goal is to win. There are definitely disgruntled JV parents out there that think they're kid should be on varsity but it's mostly rose colored glasses and smooth travel coaches blowing smoke up their a** convincing them their kids are better than they are because they bat 500 in low level travel ball or they're batting 500 against JV pitching while a varsity player is hitting 350. Are there really that many coaches out there that don't put the best players out there to try to win.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

This comes from a PC I know who used to coach at an elite private HS. He said one time he did not start a kid on the baseball team because the kid would not do what the coach had asked (baserunning-wise) over and over. Coach benched him a game. Next day, Coach was called into the AD’s office where he was met with the parents of the player. Dad was a big-time CEO and trustee of the school. It was either his kid started or coach was gone. Coach wound up quitting.

While I do agree it’s probably not very frequent that the politics happen, I have seen it happen at private schools where a lot of donor money comes into play.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan