DD cannot throw strikes..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2020
Well theres an important piece of the puzzle :)
'only just started seeing this instructor'.

So have already moved on from previous longer term instructor.
For whatever reason that happened....
Best thing you are on a path to gain new knowledge!!!

We changed instructors bc after a couple of years we weren’t happy with the results. Her posture and release just seemed off. I can’t really explain it but it wasn’t a good fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Thank you. I still see a forward shoulder. Have her start doing lots of rhomboid specific exercises and you will see her become able to stabilize her shoulder in a much more optimal position which will allow the upper arm to swing close to the body.. And her accuracy will become much more improved. Added bonus, her hitting will improve :)

Jul 31, 2015
Thank you. I still see a forward shoulder. Have her start doing lots of rhomboid specific exercises and you will see her become able to stabilize her shoulder in a much more optimal position which will allow the upper arm to swing close to the body.. And her accuracy will become much more improved. Added bonus, her hitting will improve :)

Yes, she needs to learn to keep her right shoulder back and whip her arm into the brush against her hip. After that she'll need to practice front side resistance a bit more.

But she is very athletic and looks like she trains quite hard. Her leg drive is very good. But she won't consistently throw strikes until she fixes her arm and posture. What she's doing now won't scale.

Jan 6, 2018

Here’s another video. This was back in early March. The step back has gone away, all else has remained the same. I’m using this video bc I don’t have anything else recorded from the side.

This video helps a lot! Absolutely no stability in the upper half.

May 21, 2018
It looks like her weight is getting to far out over her front foot. This leads to the lack of stability that @Jeffrey pointed out. Also in this video she looks to be actively avoiding brush contact, although it's pretty hard to tell from the angle. I would try to work on getting into a position like Scarborough does below. Solid front side with the rear shoulder back and relaxed. Pitching off a baseball mound is a drill we used to help with this.

Scarborough.JPGCapture.JPG

I'm putting on my flame suit for this comment, but there are a handful of successful pitchers that don't utilize brush contact or very little. See Kelly Barnhill or Allison Royalty at ASU.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2015
I'm putting on my flame suit for this comment, but there are a handful of successful pitchers that don't utilize brush contact or very little. See Kelly Barnhill or Allison Royalty at ASU.
This is true, but not in context. Both Barnhill and Royalty throw with different mechanics starting from the drive using the pseudo-crowhop (Osterman is similar, but gets back into a position to get a lot of brush). I'm not going to get into the debate about the legality of those mechanics since its never been made an issue for either of them. But to say they utilize very little brush contact isn't the entire picture. The way these pitchers drive and use their hips results in less brush than, say, Abbot.

1628707926300.png1628707955635.png

Nov 22, 2020
It looks like her weight is getting to far out over her front foot. This leads to the lack of stability that @Jeffery pointed out. Also in this video she looks to be actively avoiding brush contact, although it's pretty hard to tell from the angle. I would try to work on getting into a position like Scarborough does below. Solid front side with the rear shoulder back and relaxed. Pitching off a baseball mound is a drill we used to help with this.

View attachment 23527View attachment 23528

The side by side comp here Is very helpful. Tough to see when I’m catching her tho as I’m trying not to get nailed by the 4 seam. Perhaps, I can’t set up a net instead and watch from the side when she’s practicing. Have her aim to a general location and just try to hit that area.

Nov 22, 2020
Looks like we’re onto something gentlemen. After having a 25 min conversation with my daughters instructor about body positioning to start her and my daughter worked on a few contact points to ensure that my daughters body is in a good position before the brush point and snap. This seemed to work like a charm as she was consistent in the “strike area” and was A LOT less wild. It’s going to take a while to get the muscle memory to set in but we are headed in a very good direction.

Couldn’t have done it without you all.

Thanks

Jun 8, 2016
Looks like we’re onto something gentlemen. After having a 25 min conversation with my daughters instructor about body positioning to start her and my daughter worked on a few contact points to ensure that my daughters body is in a good position before the brush point and snap. This seemed to work like a charm as she was consistent in the “strike area” and was A LOT less wild. It’s going to take a while to get the muscle memory to set in but we are headed in a very good direction.

Couldn’t have done it without you all.

Thanks

So you instructed the instructor..did she pay you for the lesson? 😂

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00