DD cannot throw strikes..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2020
I should stay out of this, but when my DD misses like this I tell her she is throwing "around" her hip. Meaning her arm is coming out and rotating around the hip rather than brushing up against the hip (think more of a direct path). Like @abbygale said, the ball is going exactly where she is throwing it. This is fixable, but it might take a bit to change the muscle memory.

Glad you didn’t stay out of this. This piece of information along with everyone else’s has been helpful. I’m seeing why she is missing now and it might not be an easy fix but it sounds doable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
There is a flaw/inaccuracy between your comments of her mechanics, the instructor saying she is good
Between
The reason for your post
Cant throw strikes.

Does the instructor know she cant throw strikes?
And
Do you think she may need an adjustment within her mechanics like different mechanics?

Theres a gap/blind eye/flaw in this conversation !
Good but cant throw strikes...?
Just sayin' Peculiar.
Bring this new 'Ahhhaaaa moment' to the instructor 👇

Glad you didn’t stay out of this. This piece of information along with everyone else’s has been helpful. I’m seeing why she is missing now and it might not be an easy fix but it sounds doable.

its good your seeking knowledge...
Now see if the instructor agree's or even recognizes YOUR quest to develop better.
Interesting at that point to get a response there.

Nov 22, 2020
Bring this new 'Ahhhaaaa moment' to the instructor

its good your seeking knowledge...
Now see if the instructor agree's or even recognizes YOUR quest to develop better.
Interesting at that point to get a response there.

We’ll be seeing her later today. She’s always told my DD to keep her arm close to her body so I think she’s in-line with everyone’s thinking. I just didn’t know what she meant by that. Now I sort of have an idea. For reference, she’s only just started seeing this instructor also and she’s already done a great job making adjustments in her delivery.

Basically, this thread was more for me to try and understand what I’m not seeing/missing for those times when I’m catching for my DD.

Jun 8, 2016
We’ll be seeing her later today. She’s always told my DD to keep her arm close to her body so I think she’s in-line with everyone’s thinking. I just didn’t know what she meant by that. Now I sort of have an idea. For reference, she’s only just started seeing this instructor also and she’s already done a great job making adjustments in her delivery.

Basically, this thread was more for me to try and understand what I’m not seeing/missing for those times when I’m catching for my DD.

Make sure you are getting "instructed" by the instructor as well (which should include you asking questions if necessary) ;)

Nov 22, 2020
It appears that her glove arm and shoulders are positioned left, so the ball goes left.

I see your point but if you look at the other stills KenB put up, all those pitchers front shoulder are completely closed. I think the main issue is the arm getting around the hip, instead of brushing.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
What your video shows (while appreciated) is the results of her pitch. Not the cause. I see a slight twist of the shoulders, a soft frontside, early internal rotation of the humerus. Any and all of those can contribute to accuracy issues along with many more but we would need to see the full pitch from the time her toes start pushing (preferably 3-5 pitches) in order to address those issues.

When I slow it down, I get a brief glimpse of the right shoulder blade staying forward and not allowing the humerus to swing in close to the body. This is happening as the arm passes overhead. Impossible to get a brush from that position Is it an impingment or incorrect arm circle timing, even a bad arm circle on the front side? Maybe or maybe not. If so , what is causing it?

I would start right there and ask her pitching coach if they see it. Then address how to best improve it. I like her hip and shoulder angles. That ball is going where her arm circle is throwing it.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

Well theres an important piece of the puzzle :)
'only just started seeing this instructor'.

So have already moved on from previous longer term instructor.
For whatever reason that happened....
👉Best thing you are on a path to gain new knowledge!!!

Nov 22, 2020
What your video shows (while appreciated) is the results of her pitch. Not the cause. I see a slight twist of the shoulders, a soft frontside, early internal rotation of the humerus. Any and all of those can contribute to accuracy issues along with many more but we would need to see the full pitch from the time her toes start pushing (preferably 3-5 pitches) in order to address those issues.

When I slow it down, I get a brief glimpse of the right shoulder blade staying forward and not allowing the humerus to swing in close to the body. This is happening as the arm passes overhead. Impossible to get a brush from that position Is it an impingment or incorrect arm circle timing, even a bad arm circle on the front side? Maybe or maybe not. If so , what is causing it?

I would start right there and ask her pitching coach if they see it. Then address how to best improve it. I like her hip and shoulder angles. That ball is going where her arm circle is throwing it.

Here’s another video. This was back in early March. The step back has gone away, all else has remained the same. I’m using this video bc I don’t have anything else recorded from the side.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad