DD cannot throw strikes..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2020
My DD has been taking lessons for 2.5 seasons now but just can’t seem to find the strike zone. Mechanically, everything is pretty solid. Strong push off, smooth arm circle, great whip, pretty good speed (mid 50s) yet she can’t seem to find the right release point. She just finished 12u and is moving up to 14’s. She’s a fairly tall kid with long lanky arms. (I’m wondering if she’s not used to her body yet.) Some of you may say it’s her coach and that she may not be getting the message across or teaching the incorrect mechanics but I don’t think that’s the issue. Her and I are always at the cage at least 3x’s a week and I’m looking into adding a fourth day to her practices. Any advice is welcomed. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Taking lessons for the entire time?
Weekly?

Growing body and height is something to consider.

What does instructor say about this situation?

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
More questions…

Is she missing in a particular way consistently? Down? Up? Ball usually missing toward her ball arm side?

Is she getting her brush trigger? That is/should be her release point. It is very important for consistent accuracy. I see more than a few girls struggle with accuracy for the lack of any brush contact. This is at 14U and even 16U. They may throw hard, but they don’t know where the ball is going.

How and how often are you training accuracy in your bullpens? Control is a skill and must be practiced. There are simple ways to incorporate this even into your warmups. For example, after getting a little loose, have her throw to the four quadrants while warming up from K from 25’. More bang for your buck. Along these lines: Never just throw pitches mindlessly to the catcher. Throw a particular pitch to a particular location (that is not down the center of the plate).

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
maybe video her from behind and see if there is any wobble in her arm circles
what is she looking at right before release?
the ball goes where you throw it
3 practices are pushing it, 4 practices can kill the arm, mind, and spirit.

Nov 22, 2020
Taking lessons for the entire time?
Weekly?

Growing body and height is something to consider.

What does instructor say about this situation?

Yes, shes been taking lessons Weekly or bi-weekly depending on availability.

Her Instructor for the most part says she’s very good. The one thing that really jumps out is her shoulder getting tight right before whip happens. Other than that she’s solid.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Without more specifics it's hard to answer the question or help. Video would be the best. Can you get some video from her belly/throwing arm side as well as from behind?

There could be a multitude of things that could be happening. Without video it's hard to say.

Apr 20, 2017
It can be frustrating and do sympathize with you. If she is a tall lanky girl then the best advice is to not get discouraged. Her best days of softball and pitching are still ahead of her. If she is in the mid 50’s leaving 12u she is in a decent place for the future. Now we have always looked at pitching different then many do but we have always believed in the throw hard with proper mechanics and then learn to control it. A couple of things we do that work for my DD is throwing into a net often. Any time we are working on mechanics or just needing to get some reps in without a game coming up we just use a net/tarp. To me it allows them to just focus on the mechanics and getting the feel without the worry of hitting a location. The other thing we do when getting ready for a tournament or game is we start the week with throwing dead red meatballs. My opinion is getting everything going straight and finding the release point sets everything else up. Everything from warm up drills through full pitches I want it straight. Once the meatballs are consistent then it is very easy to dial in the corners. Before we started doing this it seemed DD would have one corner she could hit and would miss the other. It would go back and forth from week to week which side of the plate was her best that week. Once we went with getting everything straight first then it had her constant every week hitting both sides.

I would encourage her to keep slinging the ball and never try to teach her to slow down to throw strikes. I would want to see her adjusting from pitch to pitch. If my girl throws 3 way to high she knows the next one better be right or it had best be on the ground. Doing the same thing over and over no matter how many times you do it you will still get the same wrong results. Good luck to you on the pitcher parent journey. It can be one of the most frustrating yet amazing experience ever.

Nov 22, 2020
More questions…

Is she missing in a particular way consistently? Down? Up? Ball usually missing toward her ball arm side?

Is she getting her brush trigger? That is/should be her release point. It is very important for consistent accuracy. I see more than a few girls struggle with accuracy for the lack of any brush contact. This is at 14U and even 16U. They may throw hard, but they don’t know where the ball is going.

How and how often are you training accuracy in your bullpens? Control is a skill and must be practiced. There are simple ways to incorporate this even into your warmups. For example, after getting a little loose, have her throw to the four quadrants while warming up from K from 25’. More bang for your buck. Along these lines: Never just throw pitches mindlessly to the catcher. Throw a particular pitch to a particular location (that is not down the center of the plate).

Brush trigger isn’t a term I’m familiar with. Correct me if I’m wrong but are you talking about the glove hand sequencing with the Whip?

For the most part, she’s misses high and away when she’s at her worst. She’s better with inside pitches than she is outside pitches and sometimes will release too early and the ball is low never reaching the plate. Out of the 3 days practicing, we usually use one of the days to practice accuracy. Lately, she’s been leaning forward on release so I been working/focusing on keeping her tall/balanced with a good follow through.

She was a lot better in the fall when she pitched a lot of innings but this year her coach hasn’t pitched her much and it seems to have impacted her. (I’m not really sure as she doesn’t seem to be phased by it.)

In any case, Your suggestions are all good. We’ll keep working no matter what.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yes, shes been taking lessons Weekly or bi-weekly depending on availability.

Her Instructor for the most part says she’s very good. The one thing that really jumps out is her shoulder getting tight right before whip happens. Other than that she’s solid.

There is a flaw/inaccuracy between your comments of her mechanics, the instructor saying she is good
Between
The reason for your post
Cant throw strikes.

Does the instructor know she cant throw strikes?
And
Do you think she may need an adjustment within her mechanics like different mechanics?

Theres a gap/blind eye/flaw in this conversation !
Good but cant throw strikes...?
Just sayin' Peculiar.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00