DD breaks a leg

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Well, actually a hair line fracture. DD was throwing BP Monday evening, this was one of our best slappers. Coach called for her drop/screw and it screwed a tad too much. Caught this poor lady right across the shin.

DD has been pretty upset about hurting a fellow teammate and one of her better friends. I noticed last night her drop/screw wasn't moving as much. After the game she told me she was scared to throw it after what happened. I told her you got to get over it, it was a freak accident.

That is her best go to pitch, her best K pitch. I hope she can let this go and move forward.

Syd's leg.jpg

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am so sorry, for this accident. This is a good example of why I never had my pitchers throwing BP. Perhaps the young lady will have a quick recovery and all will be well. Good luck.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Sorry for GD's DD, that can be upsetting, particularly if its your own teammate, but you have to move on. It was an accident and softball is a game, not life and death. As a parent, I might consider using this experience as an analogy to discuss the potential ramifications of drunken driving.

For those opposed to practicing against live pitching or throwing screwballs for BP, please explain the alternate methods you use to teach your hitters to hit screwballs or time live pitching.

PS - Despite her historic career, I don't put much credence in Michelle Smith's television game commentary.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
The young lady did dress out and come to the double header last night on crutches and sit in the dugout. Two tight conference games, but we squeaked out two wins. DD signed the game ball and put " I love you ", then gave it to her friend. She defiantly gets her mild manner, respect for others, big hearted, etiquette, and sensitivity..............from her mother's side. :)

All joking aside........I think she will be fine, hurting a friends feelings is one thing, physically is another. What she really hurts about, is the girl will probably be done for the rest of the season. I'm sure the guilt is hard.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I never said no screwballs, I said no screwball waste pitches. You use rise drop curve to righty for waste and throw the screw properly which is to get a strike. And I agree with Michele on this one. Watch college. Screwballs are to get the umps to call a strike and hope the hitter gets jammed if swings.

You never throw a SB inside to push the batter off the plate? You never throw a backdoor SB to catch the outside corner? Why limit yourself and your options?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The coaches need to throw the live practice. Get a net and set it up about 30 ft. from the batter. Throw overhand if you have to.
Perhaps the girls were kind of goofing off or taking a watch this attitude. Accidents happen, even if we are having fun.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
BP MUST be thrown by a "real" pitcher, at least occasionally.

GOINGDEEP, that sucks for your DD and her team mate. Mine has broken a knee before, but it was a batter on another team and it didn't bother her too much, she didn't hit her intentionally.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
This is where mine has the advantage, LHP the screw or screw/drop is moving away from a RH batter.

With a LH slapper, her screw is coming across mid plate, then breaks sharply inside and down. Making the slapper adjust the bat path, or hitting off the handle. ( or sending someone to the ER in the case above )

Greenmonsters............Mine does have a good backdoor "curve". Last night in the second game of the double header she had 10 K's, six of those were backdoor curve final strikes. I really like that pitch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877