Daughter is a tee warrior, but back hip stops on live pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Even when she does this right, the hands/path are still wrong.

The videos you posted didn’t show this. But if your looking for hands drills, there are a few paths you can go down. Turn the barrel or whip the barrel. If your looking to match the mlb sequence, whip the barrel is what your after.

Sep 29, 2014
I think everyone is talking around in circles there are things she can fix but the specific problem asked about was the back hip not releasing as much in live pitching versus her tee swing...honestly I see it too and its just weird.

Quesiton? It looks like she is VERY hesitant tee or no tee to let her back foot lose contact with the ground she isn't a "squish the bug" but it's pretty close. Was there a point maybe where you where trying to teach something else like staying back and got her to keep her back foot down...just my two cents but its seems like it might be an issue...it's like she is literally using a full swing with her upper body but her bottom half is only doing three quarters of a swing I'm just wondering if its because she has a cue in her head to keep the back foot /toe on the ground...fyi its OK to let the back toe either come off the ground or slide forward as a matter of fact just about every elite hitter does...

Jun 4, 2014
I think everyone is talking around in circles there are things she can fix but the specific problem asked about was the back hip not releasing as much in live pitching versus her tee swing...honestly I see it too and its just weird.

Quesiton? It looks like she is VERY hesitant tee or no tee to let her back foot lose contact with the ground she isn't a "squish the bug" but it's pretty close. Was there a point maybe where you where trying to teach something else like staying back and got her to keep her back foot down...just my two cents but its seems like it might be an issue...it's like she is literally using a full swing with her upper body but her bottom half is only doing three quarters of a swing I'm just wondering if its because she has a cue in her head to keep the back foot /toe on the ground...fyi its OK to let the back toe either come off the ground or slide forward as a matter of fact just about every elite hitter does...

No, we've never talked about, emphasized, or tried to keep our back foot down.

Jul 29, 2013
Looks like you've been at this a while and I commend your determination.
Here's a couple of things you might try:

1) She strides to a closed front foot/leg. So when she rotates, she can only turn her pelvis until the hip joint closes and then resists her turn. Try striding to an open front foot, somewhere between toes pointing to the second baseman and the pitcher. Then she'll be able to rotate more.

2) Her front elbow stays down and her bat will follow the direction that elbow points. She needs to elevate the front elbow to the level of her shoulders so she doesn't hit down on the ball. The bat should swing beneath her hands. For you, look at the shape of her swing plane, "the rings of Saturn" shape that her bat creates on its path. Just watch the bat. Notice how the path starts high and then goes down to the ball and then finishes at the catcher with the bat high again? This is a downward swing plane. You want an upward swing plane. Try placing the tee on a bucket and extended as tall as possible. Then have her hit the ball into the air. This will get her used to the feel of having her swing finish high through the ball and she'll have to elevate her front elbow to do it. She'll also have to lean back a bit and that will create a swing plane that'll match the plane of the pitch. When she can drive that ball into the air successfully, slowly lower the tee to the top of the strike zone and then lower. Always watching her swing plane to be sure the top of the swing plane is toward the field and not toward the catcher. Without much instruction, she will probably naturally adjust to keeping her hands high and letting the bat swing below her hands.
The last time I did this drill with a player, she remarked...."I've never hit the ball this far in my life." Give it a try.

Jul 29, 2013

Do you think Mike is doing what Bobby is saying? I think Mike is pulling. You?

Yes, Mike is pulling. He gets to palm up palm down and then pulls across because he doesn't turn his hip open enough to get to the inside pitch. He's making a mid swing adjustment. He also hits it on the handle....palm up palm down.
The point was to turn the barrel. Tewksbury was into something more.
Screenshot_2019-09-19-09-12-23.pngScreenshot_2019-09-19-09-13-41.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13