Daughter is a tee warrior, but back hip stops on live pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Yes, Mike is pulling. He gets to palm up palm down and then pulls across because he doesn't turn his hip open enough to get to the inside pitch. He's making a mid swing adjustment. He also hits it on the handle....palm up palm down.
The point was to turn the barrel. Tewksbury was into something more.
View attachment 15095View attachment 15096

According to Tewks there is no ‘pull’ at all. But you said Mike pulls his hands across his chest? Hits it for a homer.

Something isn’t adding up here? Tewks contact point was at his front foot.. Mikes is well in front of that.

Trouts barrel isn’t on plane deep like Tewks demo. It’s up and above. Kinda like he’s swinging down?

The fact of the matter is Tewks TTB around the hands isn’t what Trout does. He takes his knob to a release point and whips the barrel, His point of release varies with the pitch location and his timing of the pitch. Adjustability!

To be adjustable one cannot turn the barrel from the same location and think that the barrel will automatically release to the ball in all parts of the zone at the right depth can they? Your arms, leverage and balance only go so far. Right?

Bottom line the release of the barrel has to be adjustable. Once the barrel gets ‘level’ one cannot do so.. the commitment to that plane is made on that particular swing like it or not.

The longer you can keep the barrel up, the better.

Get the hands on plane. Keep the barrel up. Like Mike did.Tewks is incorrect.

Swing the knob- Tony Gwynn

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
According to Tewks there is no ‘pull’ at all. But you said Mike pulls his hands across his chest? Hits it for a homer.

Something isn’t adding up here? Tewks contact point was at his front foot.. Mikes is well in front of that.

Trouts barrel isn’t on plane deep like Tewks demo. It’s up and above. Kinda like he’s swinging down?

The fact of the matter is Tewks TTB around the hands isn’t what Trout does. He takes his knob to a release point and whips the barrel, His point of release varies with the pitch location and his timing of the pitch. Adjustability!

To be adjustable one cannot turn the barrel from the same location and think that the barrel will automatically release to the ball in all parts of the zone at the right depth can they? Your arms, leverage and balance only go so far. Right?

Bottom line the release of the barrel has to be adjustable. Once the barrel gets ‘level’ one cannot do so.. the commitment to that plane is made on that particular swing like it or not.

Ok, whatever. Do it your way. In fact, don't turn the barrel at all. I don't care. I could find examples but I won't waste your time. Your mind is made up.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Mike is not pulling as much as he is throwing. He is throwing his hands off the tilt a wheel. When a ball is thrown 95 mph adjustments are needed. You could find ten different Mike Trout swings.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Mike is not pulling as much as he is throwing. He is throwing his hands off the tilt a wheel. When a ball is thrown 95 mph adjustments are needed. You could find ten different Mike Trout swings.

Find these swings. I’ll take throwing his hands.. that’s knob to balls cousin.

What he’s not doing is leveling his barrel deep and turning at ‘go’. He’s taking his hands(knob to ball)to the ball while the tilt-a-whirl(pulling contracting core)let’s the hands off to adjust and release the barrel.

Word it any way you want. He’s NOT TURNING A BARREL while his hips turn or his shift swings him. Take your pick...

See Pattar... I’m all over Tewks right now! Not just you know who.

Jul 29, 2013

"The longer you can keep the barrel up, the better.
Get the hands on plane. Keep the barrel up. Like Mike did"?????
There must be something wrong with my tablet. On it, it looks like Trout's bat is below his hands and the ball and is coming back up.
Like what Ted says. Then again, maybe my tablet's really off because I can't find any examples of Gwynn swinging the knob....always looks like the barrel's swinging in the pics I've found. And curiously, the barrel is below his hands and below the ball....They even made a statue of him doing it all wrong!tony-gwynn.jpegtony-gwynn-1.jpg1995-tony-gwynn-05262415.jpgtony-gwynn-signed-san-diego-padres-11x14-photo-psadna2-t5279467-1600.jpgmay-12-2010-san-francisco-ca-usa-san-diego-padres-center-fielder-tony-GPMGNJ.jpggwynn.png
Screenshot_2019-09-19-21-30-34.pngScreenshot_2019-09-19-21-30-44.pngScreenshot_2019-09-19-21-31-05.png

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
"The longer you can keep the barrel up, the better.
Get the hands on plane. Keep the barrel up. Like Mike did"?????
There must be something wrong with my tablet. On it, it looks like Trout's bat is below his hands and the ball and is coming back up.
Like what Ted says. Then again, maybe my tablet'View attachment 15111View attachment 15112View attachment 15113s really off because I can't find any examples of Gwynn swinging the knob....always looks like the barrel's swinging in the pics I've found. And curiously, the barrel is below his hands and below the ball....They even made a statue of him doing it all wrong!View attachment 15114View attachment 15115View attachment 15116
View attachment 15108View attachment 15109View attachment 15110

Oh. I thought you gave up. Nice pics.

Swinging down to the ball is fundamental. Yes, yes of course the barrel will drop below the hands. When swing commitment happens. The barrel is released at which time the barrel will replace the hands and work level to up through the ball. This is why we plane with the hands. Of course, timing and pitch location dependent.

What you advocated for was early leveling or disconnection at which time the barrel was already spent and on plane before the swing was launched or at swing launch. That is just not the case.
There is no adjustability or control articulating the barrel early.

Once the barrel drops below the hands, the plane is set.. adjusting is no longer is an option.

I’ve showed you an inside and outside HR from Trout. He doesn’t TTB. The barrel is up and out of plane until the last 1-1.5 frames of the swing. Mike stays on top out plane and releases the barrel into the ball. He doesn’t release from his back shoulder aka TTB.

When the barrel drops, that is the hitter releasing the barrel. No good pro wants to release the barrel early or at the top.

When you swing the knob, the barrel will ‘replace the knob’. Or in other words, wherever the knob goes the barrel will follow.

‘Get in a good position, balanced.. swing the knob’-Tony Gwynn

Jul 29, 2013
Oh. I thought you gave up. Nice pics.

Swinging down to the ball is fundamental. Yes, yes of course the barrel will drop below the hands. When swing commitment happens. The barrel is released at which time the barrel will replace the hands and work level to up through the ball. This is why we plane with the hands. Of course, timing and pitch location dependent.

What you advocated for was early leveling or disconnection at which time the barrel was already spent and on plane before the swing was launched or at swing launch. That is just not the case.
There is no adjustability or control articulating the barrel early.

Once the barrel drops below the hands, the plane is set.. adjusting is no longer is an option.

I’ve showed you an inside and outside HR from Trout. He doesn’t TTB. The barrel is up and out of plane until the last 1-1.5 frames of the swing. Mike stays on top out plane and releases the barrel into the ball. He doesn’t release from his back shoulder aka TTB.

When the barrel drops, that is the hitter releasing the barrel. No good pro wants to release the barrel early or at the top.

When you swing the knob, the barrel will ‘replace the knob’. Or in other words, wherever the knob goes the barrel will follow.

‘Get in a good position, balanced.. swing the knob’-Tony Gwynn

If you change the tilt of the spine, you'll see that Gwynn's swing and Tewksbary's are very similar. Gwynn has his hip hinged andTewksbary is standing upright.
In Gwynn's swing, his hands stay near his shoulder and he turns the barrel around his hands. The bat is perpendicular to his back forearm, just like Tewks. Gwynn says, "don't throw the barrel," and shows an extension to snap swing, or knob to the ball. Then he says "swing the knob," and turns the barrel around his hands, bat perpendicular to the back forearm.
Screenshot_2019-09-20-00-37-48.pngScreenshot_2019-09-20-00-38-02.pngScreenshot_2019-09-20-00-38-12.png
"Don't throw the barrel," as he extends his hands after pulling the knob across his body, the barrel above his hands and the ball.
Screenshot_2019-09-20-00-50-24.png

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
If you change the tilt of the spine, you'll see that Gwynn's swing and Tewksbary's are very similar. Gwynn has his hip hinged andTewksbary is standing upright.
In Gwynn's swing, his hands stay near his shoulder and he turns the barrel around his hands. The bat is perpendicular to his back forearm, just like Tewks. Gwynn says, "don't throw the barrel," and shows an extension to snap swing, or knob to the ball. Then he says "swing the knob," and turns the barrel around his hands, bat perpendicular to the back forearm.
View attachment 15117View attachment 15118View attachment 15119
"Don't throw the barrel," as he extends his hands after pulling the knob across his body, the barrel above his hands and the ball.
View attachment 15120

Shoehorning.

Bobby says ‘no pull’ countless times. Gwynn is pulling the knob to release the barrel later in the swing. Hardly similar. Bobby’s barrel is under his hands before he ‘turns’ to the ball. His plane is set. He has released the barrel. Tony’s barrel has not.

Bobby wants the hips and shoulders to turn you. Tony does not. He wants balance. When in balance the core powers the swing. Just a side note. It’s an automatic if in balance.

Throwing the head or controlling the head or articulating the barrel is what Tony was speaking of. He threw the head out and around to demo controlling the barrel. He says ‘you cut off your swing, when you throw the head.’

You do know that’s depth in your swing right? You know that’s the same thing I was explaining to you about a deep release point when you TTB right? You are cutting off your swing, when your barrel is committed too soon. Yes, you can back the ball up. But that’s all you can do. There is no adjustability with that approach. You can’t hit that inside pitch out front like Trout or Gwynn. You always have to hit it deep in the zone.

So if your looking fastball and you have to see it deep to hit it well. How do you adjust to something slower? How do you prepare for up and in and adjust to low and away? A much slower velo tunnel right?

You don’t. Your a guess hitter. If the pitcher has good offspeed with decent velo. Your in trouble. Or if they have good velo and hit the corners.

The release of the barrel needs to be adjustable. Even JD, Tewks guy knows. He talks of the barrel, but shows his plane with his hands?! LOL JD.

‘If the barrel gets under my hands back here, I’ve lost the barrel’.

‘I don’t want to get handsy’ ... Isn’t that the same action as Tewks demo?? Just sayin.

Somewhat of a retraction video from the mlb network vid with Derosa.

JD talks about being flat through the zone now, damage is done out front during your ‘upswing’.

If the barrel gets below the hands early, the swing plane is set. Keep the barrel above the hands until swing commitment not ‘go’ so you can be adjustable to depth in the zone. Same as staying inside the ball, just on a different axis.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619