Daughter is a tee warrior, but back hip stops on live pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Shoehorning.

Bobby says ‘no pull’ countless times. Gwynn is pulling the knob to release the barrel later in the swing. Hardly similar. Bobby’s barrel is under his hands before he ‘turns’ to the ball. His plane is set. He has released the barrel. Tony’s barrel has not.

Bobby wants the hips and shoulders to turn you. Tony does not. He wants balance. When in balance the core powers the swing. Just a side note. It’s an automatic if in balance.

Throwing the head or controlling the head or articulating the barrel is what Tony was speaking of. He threw the head out and around to demo controlling the barrel. He says ‘you cut off your swing, when you throw the head.’

You do know that’s depth in your swing right? You know that’s the same thing I was explaining to you about a deep release point when you TTB right? You are cutting off your swing, when your barrel is committed too soon. Yes, you can back the ball up. But that’s all you can do. There is no adjustability with that approach. You can’t hit that inside pitch out front like Trout or Gwynn. You always have to hit it deep in the zone.

So if your looking fastball and you have to see it deep to hit it well. How do you adjust to something slower? How do you prepare for up and in and adjust to low and away? A much slower velo tunnel right?

You don’t. Your a guess hitter. If the pitcher has good offspeed with decent velo. Your in trouble. Or if they have good velo and hit the corners.

The release of the barrel needs to be adjustable. Even JD, Tewks guy knows. He talks of the barrel, but shows his plane with his hands?! LOL JD.

‘If the barrel gets under my hands back here, I’ve lost the barrel’.

‘I don’t want to get handsy’ ... Isn’t that the same action as Tewks demo?? Just sayin.

Somewhat of a retraction video from the mlb network vid with Derosa.

JD talks about being flat through the zone now, damage is done out front during your ‘upswing’.

If the barrel gets below the hands early, the swing plane is set. Keep the barrel above the hands until swing commitment not ‘go’ so you can be adjustable to depth in the zone. Same as staying inside the ball, just on a different axis.

If Gwynn were only "pulling" his hands forward until release there is no way the barrel path would be what it is which is pretty close to Cabrera's path:

vwTXI3x.gif

Turn it forward. You can debate as to what the cause the rotational component of the hand motion is, e.g. whether it is hand/forearm dominated action or one which is dominated by the core, but I cannot see how anybody can say that the hands don't have a rotational component to their motion along with a linear component.

Jul 29, 2013
Shoehorning.

Bobby says ‘no pull’ countless times. Gwynn is pulling the knob to release the barrel later in the swing. Hardly similar. Bobby’s barrel is under his hands before he ‘turns’ to the ball. His plane is set. He has released the barrel. Tony’s barrel has not.

Bobby wants the hips and shoulders to turn you. Tony does not. He wants balance. When in balance the core powers the swing. Just a side note. It’s an automatic if in balance.

Throwing the head or controlling the head or articulating the barrel is what Tony was speaking of. He threw the head out and around to demo controlling the barrel. He says ‘you cut off your swing, when you throw the head.’

You do know that’s depth in your swing right? You know that’s the same thing I was explaining to you about a deep release point when you TTB right? You are cutting off your swing, when your barrel is committed too soon. Yes, you can back the ball up. But that’s all you can do. There is no adjustability with that approach. You can’t hit that inside pitch out front like Trout or Gwynn. You always have to hit it deep in the zone.

So if your looking fastball and you have to see it deep to hit it well. How do you adjust to something slower? How do you prepare for up and in and adjust to low and away? A much slower velo tunnel right?

You don’t. Your a guess hitter. If the pitcher has good offspeed with decent velo. Your in trouble. Or if they have good velo and hit the corners.

The release of the barrel needs to be adjustable. Even JD, Tewks guy knows. He talks of the barrel, but shows his plane with his hands?! LOL JD.

‘If the barrel gets under my hands back here, I’ve lost the barrel’.

‘I don’t want to get handsy’ ... Isn’t that the same action as Tewks demo?? Just sayin.

Somewhat of a retraction video from the mlb network vid with Derosa.

JD talks about being flat through the zone now, damage is done out front during your ‘upswing’.

If the barrel gets below the hands early, the swing plane is set. Keep the barrel above the hands until swing commitment not ‘go’ so you can be adjustable to depth in the zone. Same as staying inside the ball, just on a different axis.

Cherry picking. You can go on about what you hear Gwynn and Donaldson say and pick out words that align with your philosophy. Your case has no substance, only interpretations, yours and theirs. How about some still pics that support you idea?
And then watch the video of Donaldson at 4:10 to 4:35 with the sound off. Then tell me that Donaldson isn't doing the same thing as Tewksbury.
He's getting the bat into the zone early and remaining in the zone longer. He doesn't need adjustability when the bat is in the way of the ball that long....early-late doesn't matter.
Hitting is a guess. If the pitcher can make the ball do something the batter doesn't expect, then the batter's going to miss the ball.
Do the math on the difference in depth between a 95mph up and in fastball and an 87mph down and away curve or change and then we'll talk adjustability.
Until then explain theses pics and the comment from Donaldson at 4:20.

Screenshot_2019-09-20-07-09-42.pngScreenshot_2019-09-20-07-09-51.pngScreenshot_2019-09-20-07-10-15.pngScreenshot_2019-09-20-07-10-26.pngScreenshot_2019-09-20-07-09-42.pngScreenshot_2019-09-20-07-09-51.pngScreenshot_2019-09-20-07-10-15.pngScreenshot_2019-09-20-07-10-26.pngScreenshot_2019-09-20-07-26-55.pngScreenshot_2019-09-20-07-27-41.png
Screenshot_2019-09-20-07-28-41.png
This last one is the bat getting into the zone late because there's NO PULL on a swing that is on plane early. Turn the barrel.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
If Gwynn were only "pulling" his hands forward until release there is no way the barrel path would be what it is which is pretty close to Cabrera's path:

vwTXI3x.gif

Turn it forward. You can debate as to what the cause the rotational component of the hand motion is, e.g. whether it is hand/forearm dominated action or one which is dominated by the core, but I cannot see how anybody can say that the hands don't have a rotational component to their motion along with a linear component.

That’s an outside pitch Cabrera is hitting. A different release point. Tony’s was up and in. Try again.

Jun 8, 2016
That’s an outside pitch Cabrera is hitting. A different release point. Tony’s was up and in. Try again.
So you are telling me that Gwynn's hand motion doesn't include any rotational component (e.g. only a pulling/linear motion) until release? Come on W=w...just look at it. How about Jr.'s here?

F5W65DH.gif

TDS

Mar 11, 2010

vwTXI3x.gif

One is a forced action while the other happens naturally within a healthy sequence.

Jun 8, 2016
One is a forced action while the other happens naturally within a healthy sequence.
Fine, but my only point is that there is a rotational component to the hand motion and not just a pull/linear motion. I am not going to get into what causes the action since that has been hashed out a million times on here and other places.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Cherry picking. You can go on about what you hear Gwynn and Donaldson say and pick out words that align with your philosophy. Your case has no substance, only interpretations, yours and theirs. How about some still pics that support you idea?
And then watch the video of Donaldson at 4:10 to 4:35 with the sound off. Then tell me that Donaldson isn't doing the same thing as Tewksbury.
He's getting the bat into the zone early and remaining in the zone longer. He doesn't need adjustability when the bat is in the way of the ball that long....early-late doesn't matter.
Hitting is a guess. If the pitcher can make the ball do something the batter doesn't expect, then the batter's going to miss the ball.
Do the math on the difference in depth between a 95mph up and in fastball and an 87mph down and away curve or change and then we'll talk adjustability.
Until then explain theses pics and the comment from Donaldson at 4:20.

View attachment 15123View attachment 15124View attachment 15125View attachment 15126View attachment 15123View attachment 15124View attachment 15125View attachment 15126View attachment 15127View attachment 15128
View attachment 15129
This last pic is the one you can't show being part of a homer, because theres NO PULL in a good swing.

Tewks is commiting his barrel at ‘go’. JD is not. Tewks is turning his barrel into the swing arc at go. JD is creating swing direction at go. There’s a big difference.

Did you just ask for ‘still’ pics to describe an athletic movement? Is that how you help hitters get better by showing them pictures of positions they are in? LOL. Not the actions that got them into those positions???

He gets his hands in the zone early and deep. Not the bat. He is planing the pitch with his hands! He even says ‘if my hand isn’t flat’ etc etc.

The only TTB mechanic that is worth a darn is swing direction. That is not what Tewks was demoing. He was getting his barrel on plane deep. Not his hands.

Hitting isn’t a guess. It’s a constant adjustment to the pitcher. The bombs you see hit on TV usually aren’t adjustments. They are fatties. Or anticipated location/pitches.

So hitters never adjust? They just guess? I don’t think so.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Fine, but my only point is that there is a rotational component to the hand motion and not just a pull/linear motion. I am not going to get into what causes the action since that has been hashed out a million times on here and other places.

Yes there is direction to the swing. No one said there wasn’t. There is a pull and a turn done deep in the zone with the hands. Bobby wants the barrel on plane deep. I’m trying to show him that is not how you plane a pitch. It’s dumping. He just doesnt know it yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45