Daughter is a tee warrior, but back hip stops on live pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
I have something you can add to what I said earlier, and it should fix her apparent tree chopping. Use a hitting stick or a pool noodle. Hold one end away from her, and place the other end at various places along the green line as she swings. She appears to be swinging the bat head along the blue line, and should be using the yellow route. She will sort out how to fix it.
It would be much much better if you could record her in 60fps, not 30 fps. We would have 10 frames of her swing not 5 (maybe 1-2 are missing in these).

Here is an example, but have her hit the ball on the tee, and try to avoid the hitting stick or noodle.
s-l1000.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Like I said on the first page, IMO it looks like she gets too much pressure on her front side foot (or using incorrect physics terminology, weight) too early..she has no choice but to be too steep to the ball when she does this.

Jun 4, 2014
Like I said on the first page, IMO it looks like she gets too much pressure on her front side foot (or using incorrect physics terminology, weight) too early..she has no choice but to be too steep to the ball when she does this.

That's what you were trying to say??? I interpreted as get your weight to your front leg because in doing your experiment it is extremely easy to rotate around front leg when your weight is on your front leg. Obviously I missed that one!

Jun 4, 2014
This ball has gotten way too deep! Actually this doesn’t look bad for a ball that has gotten so deep. Due to being so late she hasn’t got time to get hips to rotate. Good timing produces contact just inside the big toe. Her hands have to work down to the ball some before they begin to work up with good timing.
I understand she's late in real life, but she's not late for what she's trying to do. She pulls lots (and I mean lots) of balls foul and the front arm is pinned against her on all those to.

We need to change what she's trying to do.

Jun 8, 2016
That's what you were trying to say??? I interpreted as get your weight to your front leg because in doing your experiment it is extremely easy to rotate around front leg when your weight is on your front leg. Obviously I missed that one!
Is it? Maybe I am a lot less flexible than you :)

In any case you don't want to get to your front side too early as one of the issues will be the hitter will have no choice but to push her hands and be too steep. Perhaps some hover drills where she is really controlling her move out and not getting her foot down so early would be helpful.

Jun 4, 2014
Use a hitting stick or a pool noodle. Hold one end away from her, and place the other end at various places along the green line as she swings.

Are you saying give her something to swing under?? She already swings with her hands at her belt. I don't know if we want that fix. Am I misunderstanding?

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Are you saying give her something to swing under?? She already swings with her hands at her belt. I don't know if we want that fix. Am I misunderstanding?

It sure seems like she's way too steep down to the ball.

Make up your mind.

If you would do as I suggested, you would get a long way toward fixing her swing. Tell her to keep her hands near the armpit, and drive her back elbow down to the belt line of her hip as she comes around (see Manny below). This will make the bat head drop, you don't do it by pushing the hands down/away.

The pic below is from Ted Williams book in 1971. The bat head must be below the ball around halfway through the swing before contact, say the belt buckle (the left side of my green line in post#41)

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2014
Make up your mind.

If you would do as I suggested, you would get a long way toward fixing her swing.
That's fair. But I'm asking what you suggested, because you can see I'm not smart enough to understand what everyone is saying. Are you indeed saying to give her something to swing under/below?

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Yes See Williams pic. I want you to put something right where his bottom elbow is. A pool noodle may not hurt your hands as much. She is currently chopping into the word 'THE'.

And neither am I smart enough to understand what everyone is saying. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101