Daughter considering playing basketball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
My DD who is a 12u pitcher/1st base wanted to play other sports as well as softball. Although I wasn't really happy about it, I didn't say a word and encouraged her to play what she wanted. She tried out for volleyball and basketball. Ultimately, after making both teams she decided she would rather put the practice and effort into softball. I can't say I'm surprised as she lives and breathes the game.

As for coaches preferring multi-sport players, I disagree. A friend of mine is a college softball scout for a major college and said that he looks for a well rounded individual. Your DD can get that with any extra-curricular activities such as being on the student council.

Let her play what she wants right now. She just might surprise you like mine did and you won't come off looking like the heavy.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Its hard to say NO you can't play. Any thoughts?

It is hard because it is wrong. Your DD has the athletic talent. It is up to to *her*, not you, to decide what she will or won't do.

She can get hurt playing hoops...but, she could also get hurt playing softball, playing volleyball, walking to school in the morning, driving a car, etc.

If she plays hoops, you need to look at her jumping to see if her knees "wobble" when she lands. If they do, then she needs to start working on the proper way to jump.

Cant stop em from playing other sports but other sports CAN end their pitching carreer.

I.e., "Daddy will tell DD exactly what they can and can't do 24x7."

Come on...let her enjoy her athletic ability, don't take it away from her because her pitching career might get harmed. (Note she might not even have a career in pitching...you won't know that for a couple of more years.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My daughter is a pitcher. She is 13yoa. She works on pitching 4-5 times a week. She has been pretty succesful. We think she has a pretty good chance to play after high school if she keeps progressing. She had always played softball, volleyball and basketball until last year. She gave up basketball. This year she is considering playing basketball again. Middle school basketball is about like football with no pads. We are concerned with injuries from basketball. She will still have time to keep up the work it takes to be a pitcher. Its hard to say NO you can't play. Any thoughts?

Let her play. To keep her from something because of pitching, she may start to resent softball. Whether she has a college future in softball is hard to predict. Lots of kids peak early, and others tire of the game, doing something 4-5 times a week for several years can become a chore. Could she get hurt playing BB? Sure, is it going to be a permanant injury that keeps her from softball for so long she can't play in college? Doubtful.

Nov 11, 2009
It is a good question. My dd played bb and was above average. Tore a ligament. Played volleyball above average. I think she suffered her ankle nerve injury because of brace they wear. Took a long time to diagnose and suffered with pain for 8 months before surgery corrected damage. Lost out on playoff pitching and no summer ball. We continue to rehab. Luckily she is a junior. Sports keep them busy and we are trying to live with her lack of sports to keep her busy, but if you have a dd who plays hard stuff will happen.

Jul 26, 2010
If she wants to play then let her play! She can get injured doing anything, stuff happens.

BB is great for endurance and keeping her in shape. No one likes softball shaped pitchers!

-W

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
DD's been down the ACL (Volleyball) and broken arm (SB HBP) road recently, but is a helluva lot happier this way than going through life in bubble wrap and safety tape.

Nov 11, 2009
DD's been down the ACL (Volleyball) and broken arm (SB HBP) road recently, but is a helluva lot happier this way than going through life in bubble wrap and safety tape.

My dd was easier to live with when she was playing sports year round. Band takes up some time though. Winter indoor pitching interferes with basketball. She wants to play volleyball again her senior year. Couldnt have played this year as she is still not 100% from her ankle surgery. We will see.....

Mar 13, 2010
I had a girl who was out from a clarinet injury. I'm deadly serious. It was a tendon that had to be reattached in her middle finger.

Life is full of risks. She might get injured on the basketball court. She might discover that she prefers b'ball to softball. Or she might just have fun. Let her do what she wants (within reason of course!) and enjoys. She'll be a much better person for it.

You guys would hate netball. It's played on concrete mainly here. (it's only when you get to the top level that it's on the same surface as basketball) The amount of young girls I see with ankle, knee injuries or shin splints is amazing.

Aug 19, 2011
I had a girl who was out from a clarinet injury. I'm deadly serious. It was a tendon that had to be reattached in her middle finger.
SNIP

Any more details? Clarinet is what I do for a living; poor technique can stress tissues and I've seen occasional cases of tendonitis, even the occasional carpal tunnel, but a detached tendon? Had to be a congenital weakness for a tendon to detach before anything else flared up.

Mar 13, 2010
I'm really not sure. All I really know is it was genetic and she had the other hand done the year before as well. Sorry I can't give more info!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog