Daughter considering playing basketball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I had to google clarinet injuries and was surprised at how many hits there were. Both my kids are musicians and athletes, although now that he is at college the boy is more of a musician. He plays Trombone and the DD plays Sax

Interesting how just about any activity can, over time, be a risk if the proper posture is not used.

Aug 19, 2011
I'm really not sure. All I really know is it was genetic and she had the other hand done the year before as well. Sorry I can't give more info!

Thanks, that it's genetic is plenty of info; it's actually the only way I could see it happening. We can't really blame the clarinet for this particular detached tendon; throwing a ball would have done it sooner or later. Almost anything that is done for hours and hours a day carries some risk of injury, including playing a musical instrument. Violin may be the worst, flute and oboe right up there, because the hand position often creates sharp angles for the tendons. The clarinet allows for a fairly natural hand position, but sometimes students get into bad habits with it, and hand position flaws tend to compound. I hear the same thing about pitching; injuries can generally be attributed mechanical flaws, overuse, genetic predisposition, or (most likely) a combination. The difference being that you can play the clarinet WAY longer than you can pitch without getting hurt. Four hours a day is about what most aspiring professionals put in.

Sep 6, 2011
Funny this subject has come up.. My dd is physical theraphy now for shoulder injury that we think happened while pitching in softball practice. Her PT has seen alot of injuries to ACL from basketball and say it is more common in girls due to legs not as musclear as guys. I am wondering how many of you have had your dd injured from pitching? and what the cause of the injury? Just trying to learn as much as I can, so we dont make the same mistake.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
Just as a clarification, studies have shown that female athletes are more prone to ACL injuries than male athletes. The cause of this is multifactorial, but one area that has been examined is an imbalance in the muscular strength of the quadiceps vs. the hamstrings. Programs have been developed to address this by strengthening the hamstrings and have been shown in controlled studies to reduce the incidence of ACL injuries in sports (e.g.soccer) in which these types of injuries are more common. I would not think that ACL injuries are too common in softball, but for those of us whose DD play other sports- this incidence of this injury can be reduced- by same preventative strategies you may use to strengthen rotator cuff.

Oct 22, 2009
Funny this subject has come up.. My dd is physical theraphy now for shoulder injury that we think happened while pitching in softball practice. Her PT has seen alot of injuries to ACL from basketball and say it is more common in girls due to legs not as musclear as guys. I am wondering how many of you have had your dd injured from pitching? and what the cause of the injury? Just trying to learn as much as I can, so we dont make the same mistake.

Pitching injuries can be anything from overuse to injuries acquired out on the field.
Pitchers can be hit with batted balls, collisions with runners making a play at a base, and stepping in holes when pushing off the rubber.
My own DD had an overuse injury and a collision injury.
One of my students broke both her tibia and fibula clean through on a collision at home plate.
I missed the accident on another field, but was there when they loaded her into the ambulance.

Sep 6, 2011
This is why I am concerned about dd returning to pitching, I am not sure if it was do to overuse or bad mechanics. She is a very determined athlete and will practice all the time, whether it be pitching, hitting etc. and always says "you only get out what you put in" so how much practice is to much practice? How many times a week is appropriate for a pitcher to practice pitching with pc during off season? How often in season? We often would leave pitching practice and go right into a hitting practice is that considered overuse? She will be starting a Return to Throw program here soon before we start pitching lessons again..I only pray that in theraphy we have strengthen the rotator cuff and surrounding muscles and having knowledge now of what strengthing exercises to do that this doesnt happen again.. heart breaking to watch your child work so hard off season to come into the season and play a couple tournament and your out for the rest of the season due to injury :(

Oct 22, 2009
heart breaking to watch your child work so hard off season to come into the season and play a couple tournament and your out for the rest of the season due to injury :(

All a part of athletics. I believe in every athletes career, there is a season or two they are going to spend rehabilitating from an injury.

Oct 18, 2009
well my dd is 13 too,and plays BB and pitches.I see nothing wrong with it.It is VB that I would stay away from.My dd is a pretty good pitcher,but a 13yo it is a little to early to worry about pitching in college,when she is at the 16u level then lets talk about college,until then let her play BB.

Why would you stay away from Volleyball?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog