Daily Hitting Exercises

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 12, 2009
With the Ultimate Hitting Machine (Beebe Sports Inc.) you don't need a partner. Like the drop drill, this machine will help teach kids to stay back. If they swing when ball is going up, they will be out on their front foot and usually miss the ball, or pop it up. After they step down on the launch pad to toss the ball up, tell them to wait (load up), and swing as ball starts back down. If they do this, they will time the ball better and make solid contact.
Works similar to self toss.

This step-pause-swing will ruin a hitters sequencing and at least rob them of power.

In a good swing, the planting of the front heel triggers the swing.

The only way to get close to that sequence is to hit the ball on the way up, not the way down.

R

RayR

Instead of pop up gadgets - I would use the Quick Swing endorsed by Joe Mauer or build one out of PVC or just stand on a bucket and drop balls to your hitters. Give them this queue:

See the ball and exchange heels as quick as you can and hit the ball before it hits the ground.

Oct 12, 2009
Instead of pop up gadgets - I would use the Quick Swing endorsed by Joe Mauer or build one out of PVC or just stand on a bucket and drop balls to your hitters. Give them this queue:

See the ball and exchange heels as quick as you can and hit the ball before it hits the ground.

This can work to a degree, but it has its limits.

Because you don't know when the ball is going to be released, you have to come up with a very simple, quick, stripped-down swing. That can be good, but will rob you of power because you aren't going to be able to load.

That might help you fight a long swing, but you're going to have to add some stuff back in to get your power back up once you have gotten rid of that overly long swing.

R

RayR

Chris, do you really have to answer every post with a "I am the authority on everything" type response. Do you work with hitters? Really? Because I don't have a single player/student (from 12 years old to HS to College) that wouldn't benefit from this drill.

To further answer your comment of

Because you don't know when the ball is going to be released, you have to come up with a very simple, quick, stripped-down swing. That can be good, but will rob you of power because you aren't going to be able to load.

Are you speaking from experience? The kid with long casty swing is going to be robbed of power doing this drill?

Maybe you could show me how you worked with a hitter that had a long swing and how you took her and helped develop a quicker swing that was robbed of power and then you added back in all the power she lost.

Oct 12, 2009
Chris, do you really have to answer every post with a "I am the authority on everything" type response. Do you work with hitters? Really? Because I don't have a single player/student (from 12 years old to HS to College) that wouldn't benefit from this drill.

To further answer your comment of

Are you speaking from experience? The kid with long casty swing is going to be robbed of power doing this drill?

Maybe you could show me how you worked with a hitter that had a long swing and how you took her and helped develop a quicker swing that was robbed of power and then you added back in all the power she lost.

Some drills have limitations, and people need to be made aware of those limitations.

R

RayR

Some drills have limitations, and people need to be made aware of those limitations.

Joe Mauer grew up using this drill amongst others. Who are you to determine what drills have limitations? Please provide some proof that this drill has the limitations you claim it does. Otherwise, exercise some restraint and try and stay out of this thread.

Oct 12, 2009
Joe Mauer grew up using this drill amongst others. Who are you to determine what drills have limitations? Please provide some proof that this drill has the limitations you claim it does. Otherwise, exercise some restraint and try and stay out of this thread.

How are you supposed to time your load when, by design, you don't know when the ball is going to drop?

All you can do is react, which is good but has its limits.

May 31, 2009
This step-pause-swing will ruin a hitters sequencing and at least rob them of power.

In a good swing, the planting of the front heel triggers the swing.

The only way to get close to that sequence is to hit the ball on the way up, not the way down.

With this machine, the first step on the launch pad is to just get the ball tossed in the air. You have to adjust the machine so the ball will be tossed high enough so the batter will have time to load, plant front heel and swing as ball starts back down. Similiar to self toss, but machine tosses the ball in the air.

Oct 25, 2009
Everyone's sincere input is valuable.

I believe I have learned much just from the discussions between Chis O'Leary and FiveFrameSwing. They appear to have opposite opinions on about everything but when one tries to understand their points one learns more about the swing.

As far as who is right or wrong, if either, or both, is not obvious but they sure make you think.

It's the same way with other posters. I think one of the things that make this such an important site for learning is people posting their opinions. No one benefits when it degrades to personal attacks. There are posters I used to follow on here that no longer post. I suspect some of them got tired of the personal attacks.

My opinion on the most recent drama is MTS is posting a very good drill (one I also use) and Chris is pointing out some things that the drill doesn't cover. Hardly any drill covers it all so any drill could receive the same type comments. But I try not to consider the comments negatively. Pointing out that the drill doesn't cover loading or asking how to add loading would be a better response than making accusations.

I try to learn from everyone on here. If every other post is "I agree" I don't think I will learn as much.

I miss Mark H and I miss Hitter. I don't want to miss O'Leary, FFS, MTS, Wellphyt, tewks, tom.guerry, et al.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying