Daily Hitting Exercises

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
Does anyone have a "hitting progression" they use, similar to a warmup throwing drill progression? I have lots of RVP hitting drills and a lot of newer ones I've picked up here (handover, load the back hip closed/45/open, etc, face the fire)....but I think often you pick out drills for an individual girl to either teach a concept or fix a problem.

What I'm looking to build is a sequence of drills I can give our girls when they are slightly un-monitored, as in a team practice indoors, or in a pre-game warmup. I'd like to give them a hitting drills progression where each builds on the next and reinforces key concepts and that they can remember and manage themselves.

Anyone have something like that? What drills and in what order?

TKS

May 31, 2009
The Ultimate Hitting Machine is a good soft toss machine that kids can use to get a lot of swing reps in daily. Also a good product to use with a one handed swing trainer bat.

Oct 25, 2009
Do not use the bean drills, Unless the person tossing is wearing safety goggles. A young lady suffered an eye injury doing this drill. For that reason we no longer suggest it. We have a T area set up were I give lessons in my basement. The dd hits the total control balls , when she doesn't hit in the cage after school.

The bean drill I suggested is for "self toss". I believe the original request was for drills an individual could do by their self.

You're right, you definitely don't want to do front toss with the beans. You could do drop toss if you had a partner, though.

Self toss is a skill many players have never learned, by the way. I think all players should be able to do fungo.

May 13, 2008
Self toss is a skill many players have never learned, by the way. I think all players should be able to do fungo.

Good point. Crystyl uses self toss and bounce toss drills. Crystyl likes to keep the self toss low for a challenge. The bounce toss drill is dropping a ball on a hard surface and hitting the ball into the net. It can be any kind of ball as long as it bounces high enough.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
The drop drill that Chris is talking about is a very good drill. You do need a concrete area to do this drill. I built a portable one for Howard and we tested that you can use on a gym floor. Buy a concrete slab at a Lowes or a Home Depot. I drilled holes on the side to put a rope thur it so it was easy to carry. What I like about this drill is those hitters that are aggresive and have issues with a change up , it teaches them to stay back. I used this drill last night for one of my students that has issues with the change up. It teaches her timing and to wait on the change up. Great drill you can do into a net in your drive way. Each ball bounces different depending on how it hits on the concrete. On the seam puts a little spin on it. Older balls don't bounce as high. You can vary this drill by having them hit the ball on the way down instead of the bounce. This is an excellant way of mixing it up.

Jul 26, 2010
The bean drill I suggested is for "self toss". I believe the original request was for drills an individual could do by their self.

You're right, you definitely don't want to do front toss with the beans. You could do drop toss if you had a partner, though.

Ah, gotcha.

That's why I suggested the lima beans, they disintegrate on impact rather then flying back like pinto beans. The tosser should wear protection on the eyes, but honestly regular old sunglasses are fine, it's just bean dust.

-W

May 31, 2009

You're right, you definitely don't want to do front toss with the beans. You could do drop toss if you had a partner, though.Self toss is a skill many players have never learned, by the way. I think all players should be able to do fungo.

With the Ultimate Hitting Machine (Beebe Sports Inc.) you don't need a partner. Like the drop drill, this machine will help teach kids to stay back. If they swing when ball is going up, they will be out on their front foot and usually miss the ball, or pop it up. After they step down on the launch pad to toss the ball up, tell them to wait (load up), and swing as ball starts back down. If they do this, they will time the ball better and make solid contact.
Works similar to self toss.

Mar 12, 2009
The Ultimate Hitting Machine is a good soft toss machine that kids can use to get a lot of swing reps in daily. Also a good product to use with a one handed swing trainer bat.

What is a good one handed swing trainer bat to purchase?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45