Daddyball-ism

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 14, 2010
I had daddy-ball on Sunday. And it cost us the chance to win the game. She pitched a dig and a half longer than she should have and we lost by one run. (they scored three runs) Not helped by me walking onto the plate with three balls and striking out the best hitter in the state under 19s.

Best news is, he will be my coach next year if he can force it (VP of the club) and despite being a better pitcher I'm going to have less game time on the mound. He'll find it intresting as he's only really coached teenagers before and now he wants to walk into my established team (who's killing our comp, but that's just a coincidence right?) and drop players and bring younger players in (both his daughters included, though the youngest does need to be in a higher team) I'm looking forward to that meeting!

To be fair we lost getting into the final ourselves when we had the worst game of the year and lost our first game 30-2. If we'd lost by a little less it would have been irrelevant and we'd have gone through on percentages.

I have left pitchers in the game too long also. That is not something reserved solely for coaches who have dd's that pitch.

You didn't lose the ballgame because he left her in too long. You lost because you scored less runs than they did. It's a team game. Since your team only scored 2 runs, it doesn't look like you homered everytime you got up. So, couldn't it be said you lost the game?

If you lose a game 1-0 and your pitcher pitched a one hitter, but that 1 hit was a HR, was the game lost because of daddyball?

I don't mean to be so critical, but 1 person or 1 coach doesn't lose a game. Some decisions may carry more weight and have greater consequences, but there are many opportunities to overcome.

Feb 3, 2011
I don't know what was at stake in the game you played, but I'm not coaching every single game to win THAT game. There will be some that we may really want to win, but all season long, we'll be making game decisions intended to help our team progress towards our ultimate, end-of-season goals.

Mar 13, 2010
I don't know what was at stake in the game you played, but I'm not coaching every single game to win THAT game. There will be some that we may really want to win, but all season long, we'll be making game decisions intended to help our team progress towards our ultimate, end-of-season goals.

It was a carnival and we needed to win that game to make the final.

Since your team only scored 2 runs, it doesn't look like you homered everytime you got up. So, couldn't it be said you lost the game?

Different game. We lost the first game (which cost us getting in on percentage) and only scored two runs. The game I was referring to we lost by 1 run. (from memory we got six or seven runs? It was a couple of weeks ago)

I only batted once and hit a single bringing in a run, so I did all I personally could. Second time at bat I had a pinch hitter, as I was pitching at that point. (and she did hit a home run!)

This pitcher did not cost us the game. Our coach, by keeping her in, made it harder for us to win the game. And I do think it's relevant when seven or eight runs are scored off one pitcher who is kept in too long, and the next two pitchers (I didn't pitch the last dig) get no runs scored off them. It did, in this specific instance, cost us the game.

May 14, 2010
I only batted once and hit a single bringing in a run, so I did all I personally could. Second time at bat I had a pinch hitter, as I was pitching at that point. (and she did hit a home run!)

This pitcher did not cost us the game. Our coach, by keeping her in, made it harder for us to win the game. And I do think it's relevant when seven or eight runs are scored off one pitcher who is kept in too long, and the next two pitchers (I didn't pitch the last dig) get no runs scored off them. It did, in this specific instance, cost us the game.

Technically speaking, if you hit a single driving a run in, you did not do all you could. If you had homered instead, you would have knocked in 2 runs and the 1 run loss would have been tied.

Secondly, it is relevant that the coach left the pitcher in too long. My point is that could be said about nearly every loss I have ever coached. If the other team scores any runs, couldn't it be said the pitcher was in too long? That has nothing to do with Daddy ball. That's coaching. If it was easy, the parents in the stands would do it.

Mar 3, 2011
Ohio
In the 10+ years that my kids have been playing softball, only a few teams weren't coached by a parent. Some of those coaches purposefully undermined players for the benefit of their DD. And that sucked for those kids and mine was one of them sometimes. But some of those coaches were really good coaches and never showed bias for their kid. Some were nice guys that tried but lacked the game strategy that seasoned coaches have.

This past summer, next summer, and hopefully the rest of this DD's TB career we will have our current coach. She's a tough coach, high expectations, smart, and pushes the girls while still being respectful and fun. The team loves her. She's former college player and the older sister of our 1B. Is that Sister-ball?

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Well... ahem... Just ran across this thread. I am one of the guilty "Daddy" coaches, and my DD pitches, have coached from 1st year 10U to now 2nd year 14U. Now on to reality, DD has never really put the time and effort into pitching. Guess what... she doesn't pitch very often anymore. Now her primary position is outfield... yup outfield, not SS!!! I guess what irkes me is the whole question, "Do you have a daughter on the team?" "Yes". "Thank you goodbye". That type of generalized attitude is what drives me nuts. You don't care how I coach, or don't care how I approach problems, you only care if I have a DD on the team. I would suggest that people look at potential teams they are interested in trying out for while the season is going on. If you cannot tell which player is the coaches DD then I wouldn't just dismiss the team.

I really believe there are two categories; First "Daddyball" that term to me means that the coach gives their DD special treatment (I have seen it too). And Second are those that are "Dads (or Mom's) that coach"

These are two totally different situations and cannot be lumped into one generlized topic.

With that being said, I know my own ability and time commitment and have decided to quit coaching after this season. We have a couple of players that need to be on teams where they compete at exposure tournaments and to be honest, my DD will never be bucking for a scholorship in athletics.

Mar 3, 2011
Ohio
I guess what irkes me is the whole question, "Do you have a daughter on the team?" "Yes". "Thank you goodbye". That type of generalized attitude is what drives me nuts.

I really believe there are two categories; First "Daddyball" that term to me means that the coach gives their DD special treatment (I have seen it too). And Second are those that are "Dads (or Mom's) that coach"

Coach, if it means anything, some of the best coaches I've ever dealt with were "Dads" that coach. I typically assume from where I'm at that every male coach has a DD on the team (and yes I'm generalizing). Out of all of those coaches, really only one qualified as daddy-ball.

The worst coaches we've had to deal with have actually female fresh-out-of-college coaches. Huge egos on a power trip with the my-way-or-the-highway attitude. They just chase kids away from their programs.

I'd rather have the one Dad a few years back who knew enough to be dangerous about softball but at least worked and respected the girls.

Just saying...

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
I think DD2(8) just landed herself on a daddy ball team.

My DD is in what could be her last year of MP and is one of the oldest on the team. Coach's DD is one that still could play another year down. Coach's DD is the catcher. Only she moves out of the way of the pitch. Every pitch. If anyone else asks to catch, coach might put them in to practice for about 5 minutes, and then puts his DD right back in.

Today, it's hot for early spring. Coach has his DD all geared up and she is dripping sweat! We didn't even have the PM running. He pulls her for about 15 minutes and lets another girl catch. Then puts her back in. During a water break 30 minutes or so later, my DD asks to catch and he tells her no and sends her to RF.

I was surprised at last Sunday's practice when he did let my DD catch for a little bit that she was actually catching the ball. (Guess she has learned a lot from watching her big sister catch)

I am not overly enthusiastic about this coach (or his other coaches), but we will use this as a season to improve her skills (and hope and pray they don't mess up her batting stance too horribly bad in the mean time, because I cringe every time one of the coaches tell her how to stand)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30