Daddyball-ism

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
CU's Kill: We have the same issue here in NJ with an overabundance of teams....many are still looking to fill their rosters and will struggle to do so through-out the season. It sometimes is frustrating to see the same rants regarding parents and coaching, which is why I wrote about DD's team situation. I see how other teams in our area operate and certainly agree parent favoritism is rampant in softball, especially at the younger age groups.

Sep 3, 2009
Low and behold, here in MO we are over-saturated with teams as well. Could this be throughout the whole country??? There are plenty of teams out there that have a coach/dd makeup, and it's not a problem. From the ones i've noticed in my own backyard, their dd's are not position players. It's a not a big deal, there isn't any drama, they just play and compete. The ones that garner the bad reputation are the ones where the coach's dd is playing the the big spot, pitcher, catcher. We have dozens of 'daddy-ball' teams here in town with dd's who would be lucky to be a #3 pitcher on a mediocre C team, but she's starting hurler in B. These teams are almost always looking for the 10th player to "finalize their roster". They pretty much have tryout postings year round, and you rarely see them in Bracket games.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
Maybe we should begin a new topic - "In What State do You Live and How many team's in DD's Age Bracket are Still Looking for Players?"

Here in NJ, I have seen quite a few of the teams continually advertising for players compete. Many are very competitive and the coaching fundamentals sound. The issue more times centers around preferred player status at ceratin positions or an overly aggressive in-your-face coaching style.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I see the ads in the local boards that say something like this. 14u team needs a #2 pitcher... or Looking for a #2 catcher

Well how do you know that the girls who might be interested aren't better then your #1? Or is it impossible for there to be a better pitcher then the DD?

May 26, 2010
Central NJ
I see the ads in the local boards that say something like this. 14u team needs a #2 pitcher... or Looking for a #2 catcher

Well how do you know that the girls who might be interested aren't better then your #1? Or is it impossible for there to be a better pitcher then the DD?

Looking for a #2 pitcher is almost as good as introducing someone to your "first wife".

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008

Ha ha ha! On another board that I'm on I posted in a couple of these "How do you know you're looking for a #2? What if a #1 shows up?"

Yes, I got flamed.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
Ivy: I remind WW (wonderful wife) occasionally of this exact fact: be nice or I'll begin to introduce you as the "future former Mrs. 3's Dad". WW does not find that very amusing.

C-N-D: #1 is already on the team (isn't DD 31 if she pitches)!! LOL! I enjoy the "lots of inning available for a quality pitcher " post.

I may be best to ask in what portion of the country are the teams fairly full?

Feb 3, 2011
I don't know about you TB guys, but in rec, I want two #1 pitchers on my team. And if I were recruiting players, I'd be seeking players who were ready to start at whatever positions our team needed.

Anyone advertising for a #2 is letting you know upfront what you're dealing with, though, so you can't really fault them for their honesty, regardless of what their organization's goals are.

May 18, 2009
My DD is a #1. I certainly wish we could find another #1. #2's tend to lose it on the rubber if things go poorly. I'm worried this year because of lack of pitching depth. Worst I've seen and we truly need someone else to step up. I also want someone that will push my DD to be her best.

Mar 13, 2010
I had daddy-ball on Sunday. And it cost us the chance to win the game. She pitched a dig and a half longer than she should have and we lost by one run. (they scored three runs) Not helped by me walking onto the plate with three balls and striking out the best hitter in the state under 19s.

Best news is, he will be my coach next year if he can force it (VP of the club) and despite being a better pitcher I'm going to have less game time on the mound. He'll find it intresting as he's only really coached teenagers before and now he wants to walk into my established team (who's killing our comp, but that's just a coincidence right?) and drop players and bring younger players in (both his daughters included, though the youngest does need to be in a higher team) I'm looking forward to that meeting!

To be fair we lost getting into the final ourselves when we had the worst game of the year and lost our first game 30-2. If we'd lost by a little less it would have been irrelevant and we'd have gone through on percentages.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30