Curling as an Olympic sport.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Does anyone else watch the Olympics and think to themselves....."I cannot believe curling is an Olympic sport and softball isn't....REALLY"?

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I have to say, I love watching curling. The strategy and skill involved, at least to me, is reminiscent of softball although in a different form. However, I am highly disappointed that softball wasn't voted in for the 2020 games although I'm not surprised. My personal opinion is that it was all politics since there were only a handful of teams that were competitive on a year to year basis in the olympics. Thus, the nations that felt they were so far behind the curve that they couldn't catch up, or were unwilling to put the money into their team to catch up, voted against it and will continue to vote against it.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Yes. I enjoy watching Curling....But I perceive it as a game not a sport.

Is hockey not a game?

BTW, how is it a country that plays a fair amount of shuffleboard and deck shuffleboard often seem confused by curling?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Actually mad there is no curling on right now and I have to watch sledding.

"Oh oh oh she was amazing, she gets goooooolllllldddd, the biggest margin in 3 decades....1.1 seconds!" ....she pulled hard on the handles and laid back really good. Her analysis of her gold medal run "I just laid back and relaxed really well." BORRRRIIING!

Well, originally being from Minnesota where there were youth curling leagues long before girl's fastpitch started up around 1980, it actually does not surprise me at all! :) Now I prefer to watch softball, but I still like to get into a good bonspiel!

Dec 7, 2011
I like curling also but watching Olympics always brings me back to the sore spot of Softball being out.

I don't understand how the Olympic committee operates on sport selection.

So the Snowboard sports come around and it seems like overnight every friggin flavor of snowboard this of free-style skiing that is a "main event" in Olympics.

Then there is something like luge that I wonder if it has more than a couple hundred TOTAL fans around the world and they are all family members. Yet every year - bobsled/luge/skeleton...... blah!!!

But where is the logic on why some sport is in and others are out...?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283