crankermo's DD going deep

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 28, 2012
in SNF type swing - turning the handle unloads the barrel - why not learn to keep loading the barrel so if you are early you have not committed?

Why not learn to turn the barrel in sequence with a supportive body such that it can unload immediately if needed or continue loading if needed depending on how the body/arms/hands direct that turning barrel?

It's time to give up the boogeyman of turning the barrel and instead turn the discussion to getting the sequence and support right to effectively turn the barrel.

Being able to turn the barrel and unload immediately better be one option in your sequence.
http://noontimebaseball.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Pablo_2012WS_XMO.gif

Aug 28, 2012
And really what is continued "loading" anyways other that the body / arms / hands working to a location while the launched barrel travels it's path giving some visual of bent top wrists or some other stupidness that is totally dependent on timing and location?

May 3, 2014
Noon wtf are you talking about?

And really what is continued "loading" anyways other that the body / arms / hands working to a location while the launched barrel travels it's path giving some visual of bent top wrists or some other stupidness that is totally dependent on timing and location?

Aug 28, 2012
Heh, I was just trying for the five special of rattling off three posts in a row.

Seriously though, turning the barrel doesn't have to mean tossing away the barrel. Is there a wrong way out of sequence lack of body support way where turning the barrel does result in throwing the barrel? Yes.

Maybe you agree with me that there is a right time and place to turn the barrel and you were simply saying that SnF as a support system wasn't it.

My guess would be that you would say you don't have to think about turning the barrel because of your core actions. That's fine too but I think there is still value in getting both right. The proper sequence which includes the core actions as well as the right platform to turn the barrel such that it doesn't result in tossing the barrel away.

Anyway, just feeling like chirping up when I see what I think is throwing the mechanic out just because there is a wrong way to do it when the real issue is not the mechanic but the timing and application of it.

Nothing really more to add that I haven't said before probably.

Aug 28, 2012
Noon, are you a pinch the scap hold and turn? The originator of the SNF is. (BTW, the SNF, imo, is an offshoot of the old Epstein torque drill with the difference being the placement of the feet/hips. 45 degree angle versus 90 degree if I have that correct.)

No.

I can see value in a drill that starts you in a pinched scap, held position, while you learn to launch without firing the hips or pushing the arms. Or while you preset the overlap of the inward pressured leg vs the resisting hip and up and you learn to launch without losing that.

As part of a holistic swing sequence I think it is more of a product of a proper sequencing and not something that needs to be pinched and held intentionally. But again, nothing wrong with spending some time there on purpose to get the feeling of what you should pass through IMO.

May 3, 2014
It really is that simple - you are not trying to turn the barrel you are controlling the barrel keeping it inline until it gets turned - if the top wrist doesn't turn it prematurely.

SnF is about holding back and letting go - I prefer a sequence that allows the hitter to speed up, slow down or continue as planned as needed. I prefer the hips to clear instead of something to turn the barrel around.

Heh, I was just trying for the five special of rattling off three posts in a row.

Seriously though, turning the barrel doesn't have to mean tossing away the barrel. Is there a wrong way out of sequence lack of body support way where turning the barrel does result in throwing the barrel? Yes.

Maybe you agree with me that there is a right time and place to turn the barrel and you were simply saying that SnF as a support system wasn't it.

My guess would be that you would say you don't have to think about turning the barrel because of your core actions. That's fine too but I think there is still value in getting both right. The proper sequence which includes the core actions as well as the right platform to turn the barrel such that it doesn't result in tossing the barrel away.

Anyway, just feeling like chirping up when I see what I think is throwing the mechanic out just because there is a wrong way to do it when the real issue is not the mechanic but the timing and application of it.

Nothing really more to add that I haven't said before probably.

Jan 7, 2013
Actually Bobby...

Quick story. Over a year ago..i was looking for a crankermo clips and ran across a new tv clip he posted....i know the station and found out my dd had gone against Brooke for 2 years. Brooke hit two home runs when my dd was a jr pitcher...one of them hit my wifes sun umbrella in left center field. We hadn't realized it was Crankermo's dd at the time. My dd did better as senior remembering that catcher and Brooke still went 3 for 4 but no bombs. :)

While my dd is done...i got to see Brooke play about 5 or 6 games this year. At the regular season game...i walked by our coach and said watch out for that catcher. Coach said..."she's gone...she graduated". I looked over at the catcher and it was still #4 but she was much bigger than i recalled so i thought he was right.

Then she came up to bat and hit the farthest home run I have ever seen a girl hit in that last 10 years of doing this. It was a blast like no other!

She is awesome and that is an awesome swing!

The coach was right, the catcher from the year before HAD graduated (and gone D1 as well). Brooke was probably playing 1B the game she hit those bombs the year before. ;-)

Glad to see the thumb's holding up...

Came on here to check out some other stuff and saw this great clip of Brooke.

All the typical hyper analysis aside, it's neat to see that even with her impeccable mechanics slightly compromised (slipped foot), and being fooled slightly (being early), she was still able to hammer this pitch.

A nice reminder that although high level mechanics are crucial in getting the most out of any hitter, that's not the only thing it takes to be truly elite.

it sure doesn't hurt to have unbelievable athleticism, experience and intelligence to back it up.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13