crankermo's DD going deep

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
in SNF type swing - turning the handle unloads the barrel - why not learn to keep loading the barrel so if you are early you have not committed?

A hitter is not committed until they go beyond the "point of no return". In other words, the "around", or "turning the barrel", is not commitment ... but once the barrel is thrown/cast into the 'along', then it is committed.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
And really what is continued "loading" anyways other that the body / arms / hands working to a location while the launched barrel travels it's path giving some visual of bent top wrists or some other stupidness that is totally dependent on timing and location?

It’s about the realization of changing tension levels and the energy transfer process.

There is a reason TM could speak of “launch and spend” as he did … because what was being ‘spent’ was the energy pertaining to active hand usage. After that the active top hand/wrist tension drops off dramatically, and the energy transfer process takes over.

As for the top hand being bent being 'stupid' ..... take note that it sets up having the bat head traveling a considerable distance, relative to the hands, going into impact. In a sense, it allows the bat head to accelerate going into impact.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Heh, I was just trying for the five special of rattling off three posts in a row.

Seriously though, turning the barrel doesn't have to mean tossing away the barrel. Is there a wrong way out of sequence lack of body support way where turning the barrel does result in throwing the barrel? Yes.

Maybe you agree with me that there is a right time and place to turn the barrel and you were simply saying that SnF as a support system wasn't it.

My guess would be that you would say you don't have to think about turning the barrel because of your core actions. That's fine too but I think there is still value in getting both right. The proper sequence which includes the core actions as well as the right platform to turn the barrel such that it doesn't result in tossing the barrel away.

Anyway, just feeling like chirping up when I see what I think is throwing the mechanic out just because there is a wrong way to do it when the real issue is not the mechanic but the timing and application of it.

Nothing really more to add that I haven't said before probably.

Agree with the 'bold' above. From my perspective "turning the barrel" doesn't mean tossing away the barrel ... but it is a running start leading to that ..... and it has the hands/handle/body moving into a position for the arcing barrel to be sent/delivered/thrown with direction into and through the ball.

May 3, 2014
Yes - I agree there is a right time and place to turn the barrel or rather the barrel be turned.

Yes - I prefer another way instead of SnF.

Yes - core actions control the sequence or certain movements allow the core to control the sequence. Depends on the hitter how it develops.

The mechanic itself is over kill. There is no reason to train the rear wrist to rotate initially on EVERY swing. Even when it does have to rotate immediately - there is another wrist movement setting it up.

Heh, I was just trying for the five special of rattling off three posts in a row.

Seriously though, turning the barrel doesn't have to mean tossing away the barrel. Is there a wrong way out of sequence lack of body support way where turning the barrel does result in throwing the barrel? Yes.

Maybe you agree with me that there is a right time and place to turn the barrel and you were simply saying that SnF as a support system wasn't it.

My guess would be that you would say you don't have to think about turning the barrel because of your core actions. That's fine too but I think there is still value in getting both right. The proper sequence which includes the core actions as well as the right platform to turn the barrel such that it doesn't result in tossing the barrel away.

Anyway, just feeling like chirping up when I see what I think is throwing the mechanic out just because there is a wrong way to do it when the real issue is not the mechanic but the timing and application of it.

Nothing really more to add that I haven't said before probably.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
br1_slow_zpscsyygvcb.gif

This video was a lightbulb moment for me. The slip of the foot changed the way I understood the rear leg.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Can you expound in that a little?

Look at the way her foot slips on the turf. The torsion in her rear leg is turning the foot clockwise. Seeing this significantly changed the way I understood how the rear leg works, and as I dug into that more, I realized how that torsion affects the action in the rear hip socket.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45