crankermo's DD going deep

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Obviously - this is a very good swing. Can it get better? I think so. Consider the following

ZRQSbO.gif

The yellow lines represent where the bat could be.

IMO - the wrist movements aren't quite right. IMO the rear wrist is rotating too early in the swing when it should be attempting to control the barrel from sweeping out using more of a hammer like movement. The front wrist should be resisting the rear wrist action by trying to prontate (rotate thumb away from the chest) to keep the barrel above the ball. Her front wrist looks good - but the rear wrist is tossing the barrel out too soon.

It is quite possible that Brooke turns under on this pitch because she was early and bought herself time by making that move - it is hard off of one swing to make a real determination.

But, I think there is a resistance piece missing to this swing that would improve the wrist action. Her current movements lead to the wrist action she uses.

And yes - I understand that her back foot slips on the carpet in this swing. I think the back foot pressure is correct - but her initial movements might be contributing to the foot slipping instead of the foot being able to grip/pressure the ground as long as it is needed.

And before anyone gets upset - I asked Crankermo if he minded - he does not.

I think you are making a good call here Buttermaker. I tend to watch hinge angle but have a slightly different view of it than some others. It looks like your yellow line is added to point out the standard 90 degree hinge. I don't focus as much on the degree of the hinge as the fact that the hinge is maintained. IMO, even if her bat was off the line, but maintained a constant distance from the line at the 'pauses', she would still be maintaining the hinge. That said, it is one swing, and she may be adjusting...

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Quick story. Over a year ago..i was looking for a crankermo clips and ran across a new tv clip he posted....i know the station and found out my dd had gone against Brooke for 2 years. Brooke hit two home runs when my dd was a jr pitcher...one of them hit my wifes sun umbrella in left center field. We hadn't realized it was Crankermo's dd at the time. My dd did better as senior remembering that catcher and Brooke still went 3 for 4 but no bombs. :)

While my dd is done...i got to see Brooke play about 5 or 6 games this year. At the regular season game...i walked by our coach and said watch out for that catcher. Coach said..."she's gone...she graduated". I looked over at the catcher and it was still #4 but she was much bigger than i recalled so i thought he was right.

Then she came up to bat and hit the farthest home run I have ever seen a girl hit in that last 10 years of doing this. It was a blast like no other!

She is awesome and that is an awesome swing!

May 3, 2014
I think you are making a good call here Buttermaker. I tend to watch hinge angle but have a slightly different view of it than some others. It looks like your yellow line is added to point out the standard 90 degree hinge. I don't focus as much on the degree of the hinge as the fact that the hinge is maintained. IMO, even if her bat was off the line, but maintained a constant distance from the line at the 'pauses', she would still be maintaining the hinge. That said, it is one swing, and she may be adjusting...

FP - I am not highlighting a hinge angle. At least not in the traditional front wrist hinge angle sense. The rear wrist needs to keep the barrel from tossing out too early. The effect is what many see/term as holding a hinge angle - but the swing is dynamic and there is no time to purposely "hold" anything.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
FP - I am not highlighting a hinge angle. At least not in the traditional front wrist hinge angle sense. The rear wrist needs to keep the barrel from tossing out too early. The effect is what many see/term as holding a hinge angle - but the swing is dynamic and there is no time to purposely "hold" anything.

I dont disagree. And honestly, dynamic is one of my favorite words when describing the swing or virtually any athletic movement. I dont think anything should be "purposely held" as you put it but I do think the wrists working together will provide a certain visual. Nothing more than that...

This is why I said I have a "slightly different view" of the hinge angle concept in my first post. How the wrists are used and the visual they provide can be helpful, IMO.

That said, this young lady has an excellent swing.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2010
Bobby,

Thanks for the kind words and it was great to meet you at the State Championships.

CB,

Thank you also for the kind words. I've always had a detailed path for what I think Brooke needs to work on and I never veer from it. You are exactly right when you say be careful about tinkering with a swing. The great thing about hitting sites is there is all kinds of info and beliefs exchanged and IMO it's up to the individual to decipher what they need.

I also can't wait to watch your DD finish up her unbelievable college career and hope she breaks every record there is and wins a NATTY.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
in SNF type swing terms, she is early, she adjusts by not losing the corner while continuing turning the handle. not losing the corner (keep pull backs/loading/twisting the torsion bar/torso/hip through scap/overlapping/IR in hip,etc) is what prevents any casting.
for jargon definition, see the "what does the corner mean to you" thread/illustrations.

May 3, 2014
in SNF type swing - turning the handle unloads the barrel - why not learn to keep loading the barrel so if you are early you have not committed?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
in SNF type swing - turning the handle unloads the barrel - why not learn to keep loading the barrel so if you are early you have not committed?

I thought Tom said that:
in SNF type swing terms, she is early, she adjusts by not losing the corner while continuing turning the handle. not losing the corner (keep pull backs/loading/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598