COVID-19 and Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
For all those who think this is all a big nothing, the HIMSS trade show that was supposed to happen next week has been cancelled. HIMSS is Healthcare Information Management and System Society. It is the largest trade show and conference in healthcare and health IT, and draws more than 50,000 healthcare professionals from around the world. This is the first time in 58 years they have cancelled it.

If this was really nothing more than a glorified flu they wouldn't have taken this measure. Millions of dollars are being lost. HIMSS itself is going to take a major hit because the primary conference of any association is one of its biggest sources of revenue.

If a bunch of healthcare professionals decide the prudent thing is to cancel their biggest conference of the year, the one that many companies' entire year revolved around, the rest of us need to take it seriously.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
We have tickets to the Stand by Her tour in mid June in the Boston area. I'm worried that it will be cancelled. I'm in good health but I am 70 so I don't want to catch it.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
For all those who think this is all a big nothing, the HIMSS trade show that was supposed to happen next week has been cancelled. HIMSS is Healthcare Information Management and System Society. It is the largest trade show and conference in healthcare and health IT, and draws more than 50,000 healthcare professionals from around the world. This is the first time in 58 years they have cancelled it.

If this was really nothing more than a glorified flu they wouldn't have taken this measure. Millions of dollars are being lost. HIMSS itself is going to take a major hit because the primary conference of any association is one of its biggest sources of revenue.

If a bunch of healthcare professionals decide the prudent thing is to cancel their biggest conference of the year, the one that many companies' entire year revolved around, the rest of us need to take it seriously.
Just to share
Dont think its a big nothing.
However there are other things that create 'concern'
that do not or have not warranted anywhere near this reaction.

Notice for now schools are open.
What state will be first to shut down schools?

As to the posts about dont touch hands at games,
and sanitizer.
Common sense measures!!!!

Can remember back in the day nearly our entire team getting the flu from sharing dixie cups stuck in the fense for water.
Remember those days?!?!?

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019
There’s a lot of things that media is leaving behind, I live about 3 hrs from San Antonio, they had a lady on quarantine, she tested negative two times 13 days, she got tested the last day before they released her and they let her go without having the last test results. They dropped her off at the mall and took public transportation, now they had to find her and took her back to quarantine because she tested positive on last day .... Austin cancel the biggest media show in Texas... there’s something behind all this that don’t make sense ....

Apr 28, 2014
Just to share
Dont think its a big nothing.
However there are other things that create 'concern'
that do not or have not warranted anywhere near this reaction.

and sanitizer.

Can remember back in the day nearly our entire team getting the flu from sharing dixie cups stuck in the fense for water.
Remember those days?!?!?
CDC stated that the number of Americans with the Flu and common cold has dropped significantly as more Americans are washing their hands due to Corona virus.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
CDC stated that the number of Americans with the Flu and common cold has dropped significantly as more Americans are washing their hands due to Corona virus.
Good!
Common sense kicking in!

Jun 8, 2016
Just about all media reports focus on fear of something. They capitalize on fear of the unknown. Look at how they report possible snow storms. Overreactions are common.
The unknown aspect of it is one of the concerns e.g. scientists have been studying the flu for decades. COVID-19 is a new virus and hence there is sense of uncertainty in the scientific community with regards to how far it will spread and how many deaths it will cause. With the flu, scientists know that come late March and April the number of flu cases will drop. Not sure they have any idea if this will be the case for COVID-19.

May 27, 2013
A school district in the next County over did close 5 schools yesterday as a precaution; my County now has 2 probable cases. Not overly worried as I am a healthcare provider and worked in an ER when Anthrax was the big scare and there was discussion that my hospital was to be one designated to accept smallpox cases should there have been an outbreak right after 9/11. We all lived through H1N1 in 2009. However, I’ve never seen this type of response from the CDC, other countries, or local places of employment.

Not trying to cause concern, was just posting an honest question.

Aug 30, 2015

Notice for now schools are open.
What state will be first to shut down schools?

and sanitizer.
Our school district has shut down for the next two weeks at least
One school has canceled their softball jamboree games but no other sports have been canceled.
Things change daily though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06